Anyone doing C1/Indy March 4?

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by ezmed, Feb 23, 2013.

1. ezmed

ezmed Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    Drove in the past. Gonna get licensed again. Coming in Sunday evening March 3 fron north-central KY. Holiday Inn Express and all that. Anyone else heading in there?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. themoj0

themoj0 Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Breakfast aint bad. i suggest doing what im doing...buying lunchmeat and bread and chips...and bringing your lunch every day. all they have near the school to eat is a mcdonalds..and an old "drive in" kinda restaurant. Its called Edwards. they have a homemade pork tenderloin that is....dayuuuummmmm. and their onion rings??????????????????? OMFG. you have to hit there at least once. but thats about it. so if u want mcdonalds everyday...then youll be good. otherwise...go down the road about a mile from the hotel, hit the walmart,,,and get a few tupperware containers....and food..and make your own.

also..down by the walmart...that whole section of town is LOADED with allll kinds of places to eat for dinner, or on weekend..etc etc. too much for even a foodie like me to get to all of em LOL. and there is a mall down that way as well. gonna hit that maybe tomorrow..depends on how bored i get with daytona. ;) overall doing real good here. i tested out of the range on friday..and will test out of pre trip and road test on monday. if you havent done parallel parking for a big truck...forget everything you know..and just do exactly what they tell you. lol all in all a good time

4. ezmed

ezmed Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks, themoj0. Every morsel of insight helps

Good luck on testing out.

Keep us up on what you are doing...... otr training, if any...... getting your truck, etc.

Be safe

ez

5. abbyp88

abbyp88 Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Northeastern TN
    How is school going, ezmed? I'm still waiting to hear something back from USA trucking (going the DS route), but if they say yes I will be going to C-1 in Indianapolis as well. I keep reading horror stories about it, but I keep telling myself that it's all how you make it. My main concern is the amount of driving time. I have no experience in driving any sort of manual transmission. How much time have you gotten so far? (and yes, I know you said you used to drive, so, maybe the better question would have been how much time are you classmates getting).

6. ezmed

ezmed Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    I just woke up.... gotta get ready for class............

I am still in the classroom. The snow postponed our cdl permit testing yesterday but we do it today. Driving begins next monday.

I am not hearing any complaints on time given on anything. Instruction is perceived by some as fast paced but no one is really griping about it.

My driving was largely in the mid '70's during the recession. Hell, we didn't have to pee in a cup or anything then. Times have changed. The class began with around 45 students and with just three days in it has reduced to 36. The physical and background check has weeded some out. USA students had their telphone interview yesterday afternoon. Lab results from the physical return today.

Gotta get moving. The hotel is about 8 miles from the school.

7. themoj0

Jan 21, 2013
    If you have John C or Brad Butts as week2 instructors, tell them Tom says hi please.! Oh, and make sure you eat at that drive in place across the street,Edwards... at least once. get the onion rings!!!!!!

8. ezmed

ezmed Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    Will do!!!!!!!

Students are dropping like flies. We lost four more students today.

I'm gonna try Edward's and the buffet across the street from the hotel (friday night). My youngest son and his girlfriend are coming up next Saturday and taking me out for dinner and a Sunday breakfast. I intended to run home over the weekend until they sprung Saturday classes on us. I'll just stick around here and do laundry and study.

themoj0....... ya ready to go drive a truck across the country? Be safe.

9. abbyp88

abbyp88 Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Northeastern TN
    Thanks for the reply, ezmed. Yeah, I'm not too worried about the classroom learning, just because I've always been good at a lecture type setting and know most of the things like doing log books and map reading. It helps to have a father that is an OTR driver whose company still uses paper logs. lol Of course, some of the icky hos and other regulations are still a little fuzzy, but I'm confident about those.

Just out of curiosity, what caused the four today to get cut and/or quit (if you know)?

10. themoj0

Jan 21, 2013
    hi fellas! Ezmed...yes im dam ready. I was OTR back in 08..so luckily i already know what to expect..so it HOPEFULLY should be a painless transition. As for the saturday class...did they say it was mandatory? They usually do that end of first week. I stayed for like an hour, then left. And any other time they talked about saturday class, it more like...." you SHOULD do this etc etc"..not..you MUST. I didnt bother. I know a few people did go..but they were having a hard time with pre trip inspection. I just used my old technique, and didnt have any trouble remembering it all. So unless your having trouble with pre trip, saturday class is not neccessary for you.

In my class, we lost a few on medical reasons..a few just couldnt pass the written exams and just didnt show back up after friday..a few tested hot on drug tests...and two had immigration issues. lost a few others for random reasons. Just quitting etc etc.

Im sure..ezmed..you have met jennifer? she should be in the week 3 classroom...this would be the end of her 4th week. you also might find her sitting in the hotel lobby or hot tub all the time LOL

11. ezmed

ezmed Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    abbyp88......

Those leaving today are all speculation in reason except one and that one was medical. .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.