Anyone having Qcom Issues?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Opus, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    6815D997-CDA7-4955-9ABA-B86BD4A6C269.jpeg
    I wish they could reassign this.

Flat Earth Trucker and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. plynnjr92

plynnjr92 Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Inland Empire, CA
    That's the message I'm stuck with too!!

Flat Earth Trucker and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Everyone remain calm during the malfunction.

5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    One thing to try is cutting off all the power and letting it do a "cold" start. Find the black box. And disconnect the power cable, you will need a screwdriver. Then look for a rectangular pannel on the black box that has a screw or two on it. That is where the backup battery is. Remove the pannel and disconnect the backup battery and wait a few minutes...

Then put it all back together and see it it starts to behave better. It might work better for a while....

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  6. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    All power was off during Thanksgiving.
    It's just a POS that is really screwing up my life at the moment

Flat Earth Trucker and UturnGirl Thank this.
  7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    What frustrates me the most, is that we've had over 2 years to prepare for this and this is the result.
    And this is exactly the sort of half assed stuff that trucking companies are notorious for. No wonder people think we're morons.

8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Unless you remove the backup battery, the QC will still have power even after you flip the battery disconnect switch or even disconnect the battery. It won't really shut down completely.

Not saying that is a solution. Something is screwed up somewhere.

9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    I blame it on this awful time change!
    Mine worked great until then..

10. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    No probs with mine .

11. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I get your frustration, I really do.

We've been working on this for 4 years.

The basic truth is that no one had a working eld system in 2016. Lots of people made claims, but most elds fell well short of actually fullfiling the legal requirements. On the surface it looked okay, but you didn't have to test very far before the flaws were obvious. The law states that vendors can "self-certify" their devices, but the carrier is still on the hook for complying.

We spent more than a year with QHOS trying to get it to function before moving on. We tried cheap tablets, we tried expensive ones. We tried bluetooth, we tried wifi. Just getting information fron Freightliner about how to control data coming from the ecm was a nightmare. We had multiple gigabytes of data being sent an hour. Things would work in the test environment but fail in the "real" world. Fixing one thing would break another. The IT guys would build something based on what the truck was supposed to do, but then find out that's nit what actually happens. Most drivers cpuld have told them, but no one knew to ask the question and we thought it was common knowledge.

I spent one morning crossing between IN and IL on I70 trying to get the programers data on crossing state borders and time zones. Eventually I got called around back at the weigh station and was asked "what are you doing? have you lost your darn mind?"

Vendors had no clue on the reality of our world. When the wifi puck would freeze their response was "the driver can hit the reset button with a paperclip". That would work except for having to take apart half the dash to get at the darn thing.

It wasn't until last February that everything was working with minimal issues.

I have no idea what discusions or plans were made above middle management level, but the rank and file working on this did the best we could.

If it is possible, transition to the tablet eld soon.

Opus, UturnGirl and sealevel Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.