Anyone here on ketogenic diet ?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by bzinger, Nov 28, 2018.

1. HighwaySuperTramp

HighwaySuperTramp Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2015
    I did it. For 2 years then stopped, I'm started again yesterday morning. I'm a Canadian so it's harder for me running south because I can't really carry anything, so I learnt how to do it on fast food and snacks. I also added resistance training every day or second day to help with the weight loss.

I wasn't in 'Rutherford' Ketosis, but I pulled the deal off and went from 6'0 225 down to 184 in six months and held that weight for 8 months before I decided to start a 'bulk'. Lol like a moron.

So if you need any pointers feel free to ask away, I still remember how I did everything, and I noticed stores carrying things that make going Keto so much easier since the diet went mainstream.

Either way good luck and cheers to you. It's not an easy diet to start, probably one of the hardest I've done, but once that ball is rolling hold on tight. It gets fun.

otterinthewater and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    I went about 3 months with no carbs

I loved lt but there were times when I would "bonk" and feel tired. I was eating restricted calories also.

Ketosis is when you switch from burning glucose for fuel to burning fat for fuel. This is done by eating lots of fat and almost zero carbs.

I mostly ate ribeye steaks, avocados (which I believe do contain some carbs), and eggs.

I'm driving OTR now and I mostly eat ribeyes with lots of butter. I also eat lots of apples and oranges off and on, but never with the high fat meals. I also eat a whole pizza once a week or so.

I am determined to stay in my size 30 pants.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    Yep, lost 40lbs, joint pain is gone (carbs cause inflammation).

5. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I have a question.
    With a low carb - high protein diet. Is there any noticeable difference in the bowel movements?

6. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    If you stick to proteins and fats, volume is a lot lower. Most carbs are bulky with a lot of indigestible fiber. Fats and proteins can be almost entirely absorbed by the body.

At one point when I was deep into ketosis and not cheating at all, I could go three days.

I do not suggest that though. Part of the reason for that was that I was forgetting to eat because ketosis kills most hunger pangs.

Cheese can be evil though. Limit cheese intake, or you, and your bowels will regret it. If you do want to eat a significant amount of cheese, you better eat some high fiber foods with few carbs, like lettuce or celery.

TallJoe, tucker and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I have several family members that are on the diet all with fantastic results... 2 ppl in my fam do it to help with diabeties and they have both lost over 100 pounds in the past year or so... It wil ldefinatly work if u stay with it, although i couldnt do it i like my coffee and donuts to much every morning but im still young so all the old timers tell me enjoy it while it last

kemosabi49 and bzinger Thank this.
  8. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Thanks.
    I didn’t know you could still eat vegetables.

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Mostly green vegetables I believe.
    Potatoes are very high in carbs.
    I also believe corn is no good on the ketogenic diet.

tucker and bzinger Thank this.
  10. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    You can make it as simple as just eating real food and have great success.
    If it has an ingredient list of more than 4 items it’s probably not real good.
    Meat, fish,eggs, water, coffee, tea, vegetables, nuts and seeds.
    It’s just that easy.

runningman0661 Thanks this.
  11. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Leafy greens or greens that are plant stems are normally fine. Lettuce. Romaine. Spinach. Celery. Brussel Sprouts. Broccoli Cauliflower. Stuff like that. Rhubarb may be an exception.

Most leaf/stem veggies have some carbs, just not enough to impact ketosis. You can normally quickly find out if they are ok by googling their dietary content.

Tubers are almost always a no-no. I can think of no tubers that wont demolish a ketogenic diet. Maybe yucca root, if that is even a tuber? Some roots are ok. Carrots, parsnips, I think are ok in moderation. Seeds and Legumes (beans) vary but can normally be ok in moderation. Fruits and berries also vary widely in carb content, but some fruits are enormously carb heavy. Peppers of some types are a fruit that can normally be eaten in fair quantities.

Pickled veggies of many types are fine. Cucumbers are bad, but dill pickles have nearly no carbs. Vinegar chemically alters plant sugars.

There are all sorts of dietary guides that can help you find fruits, veggies, and legumes you can eat in ketosis.

TallJoe and tucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.