Anyone knowledgeable on rates when it comes to chocolate?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Samuel.CapitalTravel, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Samuel.CapitalTravel

Samuel.CapitalTravel Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2019
    Good Evening,

I have recently joined Truckers Report and am loving the plethora of knowledge. As stated in the title, I am curious as to what I should be expecting and/or settling for when it comes to pulling chocolate. The lane runs from Louisiana to New York/New Jersey. Thank you in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Cass Index shows a regional of 1.99 van in the NE and about a 2.15 in the south. This is a few years ago for non paying members at their site.

Otherwise there is one person I can think of to Chocolate.

@Ridgeline

Samuel.CapitalTravel Thanks this.
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Depends
    Is the customer flexible on pickup and delivery times?
    Is this going for further processing or is it fine chocolates going to Manhattan and absolutely must be delivered daily at the same time every time, no excuses! ? Or is it going to various distribution centers? Or ?
    I thought Louisiana was a state known for low outbound rates. So you gotta put it all together. If your customer is the restaurant in Manhattan with high demands.... charge a high dollar. If it's just 40k of block chocolate going to be melted into chocolate bars and lots of slack on pick and drop times... the customer has a wider selection of carriers since service level is not as demanding = lower freight rate. Medium demand may be distribution centers with strict appointment times ie do not be late by even 1 minute. Believe it or not some purchasers do their buying with a factor of which suppliers can deliver at agreed appointment times. These are the ones you get the shipper to pay the bill rather than the buyer. Shipper wants to keep selling perhaps 100s of million$ to Costco, walmart or whatever so they will happily pay a steadily decent rate for quality trucking.

I could see it being anywhere between 3500 on low side to 6500 high side. Then again I don't do Louisiana. But these are my thoughts.

Samuel.CapitalTravel and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Reinforcing those appt times.... You have to be on time or early. You can absolutely lose a entire week when forced to kick back out and babysit that botched appt arrival for being 1 minute late. Don't forget to account for local Eastern Time that might be ahead of what you usually time yourself at.

Some of my worst experiences have stemmed from being late with those stupid cursed appt times. Much yelling, grief, threats etc. plenty to go around.

KB3MMX and Samuel.CapitalTravel Thank this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Retail chocolates or bulk chocolates?

Retail? High end retail? you may need to be prepared for some rejected (damaged) cases and incorrect inclusions. Shortages and overages can also be expected but are not so much a problem if the shipper seems reasonable. Don’t forget about potentially very high lumper rates and/or lots of unload delays, depending on receiver. Make the shipper pay (reimburse) lumper charges directly, on top of freight charge, if possible.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  7. Samuel.CapitalTravel

Jan 3, 2019
    This would be along the lines of retail chocolate used for seasonal/holiday purposes (Valentines, Easter, Christmas, etc.) It would be going to Pharmacies, Walmarts, Save a Lots, etc.
    Loving the information!!

8. Samuel.CapitalTravel

Jan 3, 2019
    Wow that's insane, an entire week?
    What would be your personal gauge on Upcharge to Appointment Discipline? Strict Appointments = + $_______? If you have a formula for such factors.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. Samuel.CapitalTravel

Jan 3, 2019
    This would be along the lines of low end retail.
    In your personal opinion, do you feel that low end retail could result in an increase in the issue of damaged, incorrect inclusion, shortage, or/and overage? If so do you have any tips on certain lengths to go to cover your back for such a factor?

10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Early. Get going, yer late. But wait a minute... why?

I tell you why. That reefer trailer has been rotting in the company lay down yard at the shop waiting for the dispatcher to FINALLY hand you it's load packet and papers at 5 PM in the afternoon, knowing full well you will be getting it around 8:15 am this morning. You follow me?

I have indeed lost week or two on a botched load. Bleating any excuses only lead to being kicked off the property and told not to come back without a new appt time which will be scheduled at least 4 days hence. Destroying any pre-plan loads you have arranged or waiting for you.

I consider this abuse by shippers and recievers. So I'll show up a day early. If THEY bleat a protest trailer is dropped after dispatcher approves. Im gone.

That is one reason I love to haul McKesson Medicines so much. All you do is be there sunup, back into dock wait 40 minutes, papers walked out to you signed and you are loaded with cardboard bales to memphis. No BS. No gaurdshacks (There is hella security but I rather not get sidetracked) and so on.

It really eliminates the BS of grocery, cold storage abuses, lumpers, live load, live unload, waiting waiting waiting a day or two for a dock etc. You just roll.

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    All depends on case count and how many different products are stacked on a pallet that require segregation at the buyer’s dock. Also not all places implement “driver unload and segregate” policy but this is not typical for higher value products where concealed shortages can require full pallet breakdown and segregation before discovery.

For full truck loads, say 1500+ cases I’ve paid as little as $100 and as much as $400.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.