Anyone Pulling A Conestoga? How is it?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Shotgun94, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    My thing is is how much mpg will I lose. Say I'm getting over 7 mpg now.
    Switch to conestoga and with a mid roof that's more drag. But how is the freight paying? Does it pay the same as just what general freight pays? If so then I see the advantage with a conestoga is it is faster, and that would be where you make up for the money with the loss of fuel mileage. I'm debating.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    My Pinnacle averages 5.5 mpg, but I pull a variety of trailers from vans, double drops with A-frames and flat/step conestogas so saying which has better mpg is tough. I know that a conestoga tarp acts like a parachute and catches more wind.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  4. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I drag steel in a connie, and I'm NOT going back to tarping. The time saved on tarping more than makes up the cost of a connie, in my opinion.

Company driver, pulling a 48' spread axle with a FastTrack II Conestoga top and a mid-roof tractor.

1johnb Thanks this.
  5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    BigCam9670 Thanks this.
  6. BigCam9670

BigCam9670 Medium Load Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Hudson, NY
    It will pay the same as general freight if you haul general freight with it. As other have said already, to justify having a connie, you need to have steady work that requires it. I have some regular work that would be near impossible to do without it IMO. It's the only way to fly for certain things. Now, I also use it to do haul normal stick and brick flatbed loads for some of my other customers and it's a pain in the dick. Shippers and receivers don't like to load/unload it and it is noticeably slower than an open trailer for non tarp stuff. I lose exactly 1 mpg when hooked to it but I have a 36" flat top bunk. I wouldn't even consider it unless you do specialized work and/or dedicated general tarp freight.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Shotgun94 and Ruthless Thank this.
  7. BigCam9670

BigCam9670 Medium Load Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Hudson, NY
    Lol I was actually typing out a response when I seen the tag

Ruthless Thanks this.
  8. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    They are totally awesome..........

If you haul that kind of freight. We have one for when we used to haul weakly multi stop pipe loads.

Now we don’t have that account any more. It can be difficult to find general load board freight for it. Occasionally when someone wants a conistoga they will pay top dollar for it. Maybe, maybe once a week? The rest is just general freight I can haul with my open deck with a tarp.

I lose 1 MPG when I pull that sail of a trailer but my truck is a mid roof.

Did I mention it’s awesome to have when you need to tarp something in funky weather?

Other than that it’s just in the way.

9. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    So far we have
    1 mpg-- that's a lot of money
    I've heard $12 to $15 thousand to buy it but have not actually priced one-- that's a lot of money
    It adds 2-3 thousand to your light weight-- that "can" be a lot of money
    You are limited to some loads but qualify for even fewer loads with it.
    More potential for costly repairs. I've seen quite a few going down the road with ripped out side.
    Very nice for tarping for dedicated run which I don't have.

I was considering it myself but I think I've made up my mind.

Tug Toy and Shotgun94 Thank this.
  10. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    Not to mention that if I'm not tarping the whole trailer and can get it covered with my 20 foot or even my 27 foot tarp (1 tarp) it's only 10 maybe 15 minutes faster. But I am still 49 years young. LOL

11. 1johnb

1johnb Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    New Paris Ohio
    I pull one, we do a fair amount of high value, moisture sensitive freight plus the occasional jet engine. This is where they shine. However it is like a parachute in high wind.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.