Anyone purposely leave there team mate behind

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Elvenhome21, Apr 13, 2009.

1. RiverOtter

RiverOtter Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Lexington, KY
    I"ll tell the other side of the story -- I'm the one that got left!

I was driving team for a company many years ago. The person I'd joined with to run as a team quit after three weeks - he didn't like being away from home that much - so the company paired me up with a different driver -- "Here's your new partner, hope you guys get along! Good luck!"

This guy was a complete douchebag - arrogant, opinionated, and, worst of all, lazy! After about two days with him, I knew it wasn't going to work out, and I'd decided that when Friday came and we got back to the terminal, I was going to ask for a new partner.

Anyway...

I ran the nightshift, he ran days. He pulled into a little mini-mart gas station somewhere in Tennessee to grab a sandwich, use the phone, etc. I woke up when the truck stopped, and decided that now was a good time to use the bathroom. Got up, got dressed, left the curtains on the bunk wide freakin' open so he could see I wasn't in there, and went inside. I walked right past him while he was on the phone, talkin' to one of his bimbo girlfriends, and went into the bathroom.

After a nice, healthy dump, I come out of the bathroom, walk out of the building, and the truck isn't where I remember it being. I know I'm not anywhere near 100% when I first wake up, but, c'mon... I should remember where the truck is!

I walk around the parking lot - getting madder and madder as I do, because I figure he's doing this just to "F" with me, and by God, I'm going to beat his hide if he is!

Two trips around the lot, no truck.

I walk back inside the truckstop, call Ops at the terminal, tell them who I am, and ask them if they can look up something on the computer for me - namely, is my truck moving? They do, and they tell me that they show the truck as having stopped, but it's moving and has been moving for about 15 minutes.

I ask them to do me a favor - send him a message on the satellite, and tell him that they need to speak to me asap. When he calls in, tell him where I am.

About 25 minutes later he comes rollin' back into the truckstop, finds me, and proceeds to chew my ### out about leaving the truck. I listen to his abuse, then call Ops, who proceeds to chew his ### out about leaving me behind - informing him that he should have known I wasn't in the truck because the curtains were open and my shoes were gone, and... that if they hear anymore complaints about him, he'll be terminated effective immediately!

He calms down - apparently he needs the job - and later that evening attempts to make a half-assed apology to me, which I accept, until later that evening I discover a pill bottle, and ascertain he's been taking his wife's prescription Prozac!

A quick phone call to Ops, we get routed to Saint Louis where the truck is "randomly selected" for in-cab inspection, and lo-and-behold... lookee what we got here! I drive the truck home, he gets to ride the Greydog!

Moral of the Story -- Don't ever leave your partner behind at a truckstop. Payback is a #####! :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
    Another Canadian driver and Baack Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MUSTANGGT

MUSTANGGT Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    I have an ex-person in my life who left her then husband(for good) while he was showering.
    She justified this by telling me that their relationship had been going downhill for quite some time and to quote her "had developed into pure hatred" for each other.
    I'm sure this relationship didn't reach this stage overnight and don't understand why after four years, she couldn't have finished out the last trip and split up at home like civilized people.
    But there is no reasoning with a psycho chick, which I was starting to realize she was at that point.
    In Seinfeld-speak she could be called a bad breaker upper I suppose, but as I later learned, it ran much deeper than that.

4. ironeagle2006

ironeagle2006 Road Train Member

I did one time also. However it was after the IDIOT scream we are going to die going down parley in UTAH as he threw the truck in NEUTRAL going DOWNHILL. After removing him from the seat standing upright in my underwear on the brakes getting truck back INTO GEAR and smoking the linings in the process I got us to the bottom safely. I then proceeded to SAPP BROS were I threw HIS ### OUT OF THE TRUCK ALONG WITH ALL HIS CRAP. I was his trainer at the time however we were running team. Company FIRED HIM ON THE SPOT HOWEVER ENGLAND HIRED HIM. I found that out from the HR Dept the next week.

5. RiverOtter

RiverOtter Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Lexington, KY
    You let a rookie take a truck down Parley's Canyon while you're in the sleeper?

You've got balls, brother! Big balls... :)

6. ironeagle2006

ironeagle2006 Road Train Member

TURNED OUT HE HAD A HISTORY OF DOING THAT. THE SAFTEY MANAGER FORGOT TO INFORM ME ABOUT IT. The Saftey man and I had our issues however he should have told me about the Redneck OD past on the Sisters and then that 82 in a 55 in OR coming East on I-84 for the same reason. If I had known I would NEVER HAD LET HIM INSIDE THE TRUCK.

7. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    sheesh. I just refuse to fix food for my partner or refuse to make out and he straightens right up.

oh wait

he's my husband.

However as I tell my DM all the time: there is no guarantee that we'll both make it back from a run. :biggrin_2559:

8. MUSTANGGT

MUSTANGGT Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    That was cool.
    Giving me a story idea ironeagle.

9. RenegadeTrucker

RenegadeTrucker Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Montana
    Oh man, this story reminds me of when I first started for the first company I ran with where I got my cdl, after making a few runs with the owner and his son, I got paired up with this new kid they hired named Scott. We were driving a KW T2000 with a Cummins 525 and a 18 speed pulling a tripple axle high cube.

I knew we were going to have issues when he had to ask me how to spell Seattle and Spokane for his log, and man he was a total slob, and a smoker (I never have been) But I put up with it because I was saving every penny I could to buy my own truck.

We made 2 runs to the coast from montana and back, and the truck was getting filthy, I had been cleaning up all of my garbage, and some of his, but he was doing things like not picking up his spit cup when it spilt on the floor. And he didnt shower the whole time.

Finally I had enough, I pulled the keys out of the ignition and told him I was going inside the truck stop and that when the truck was clean and he had taken a shower to come find me.

I had been sitting in there for about 10 minutes when my phone rang, it was the boss'es wife asking me why I took the keys and left, and I told her what the deal was, she agreed he needed to clean up his act.

We made a few more runs togeather and then I wound up on the truck by myself when he went into another company truck. about a month later I bought my W9 and hooked up to the trailer i was pulling behind the T2000 and Scott moved back into the T2000 and hooked up to some rag they had him pulling.

we ran on down to Lovell wyoming picked up a load of bentonite, he loaded before I did, I had got out of bed in spokane that morning where I bought the truck, I loaded out and boogied, delivered in seattle, reloaded and bumped into scott in Spokanne headed WESTBOUND!!!

It gets even better though, I ran to Livingston that night, got some sleep and delivered billings the next day, got another load of bentonite, cooked back to Seattle and dumped it, passed him coming the other direction again.

Didnt see him again for the next week and a half until I got a call from the bosses wife asking me where I was, told her I was in butte, she asked me to pick up scotts trailer in belgrade and deliver it, he would take mine and deliver it the next day and I would get paid full rate for delivering his load and for him delivering mine.

I guess he had been sitting on the load for a day and should have been delivered. I got busy with it and delivered when they opened the gates in seattle. I reloaded, headed back, made another couple of rounds, and was really wanting to get the trailer I had been pulling back because the one they stuck me with had brakes that liked to set up going down the road, and it was falling apart.

I get into the yard in Livingston, and the Green T2000 is there, no trailer, the night before Scott had pulled into his house in belgrade, set up all the brakes after pulling off a slush convered highway, and the brakes froze up over night.

The next morning he flat spotted all 12 tires on the trailer really bad, they were a brand new set that had been on there for less than a month. 2 of them actually blew. we had to get a tire shop ot offset the flat spots from each other and stuff a few new tires on it.

Needless to say he was no longer working there, left the truck as a total sty, I mean absolutely filthy.

10. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Unlawful imprisonment. Kidnapping. Probably get 3 to 5 years, no that would have been funny.....

11. CHICKENMAN

CHICKENMAN Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Winston Salem NC
    thats what my wife calls me LMAOOOOO thats too funny:biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.