Anyone work for xpo logistics?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by jgarciajr40, Jan 23, 2018.

1. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Anyone who works for xpo, or a similar company explain to me the basic daily task the job entails.

I understand it an LTL company that delivers freight as a 3rd party but how is all that done?

Do you do deliveries to each account until the truck is empty? Do you use an electric pallet jack, a dolly, do you break pallets down.

Excuse my ignorance as all my experience is strictly in the food and beverage industry.

I'm looking into apply as I see they're hiring in my area, and they actually pay hourly.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jgarciajr40

Jun 18, 2016
    Also, how many hours do you guys typically work and what are typical schedule like? U believe the position is for a P&D driver

4. 4mer trucker

4mer trucker Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2015
    There's a Sub Thread in Motor Carriers, it's not very active though

Don't know how to do the Link thing so Pictures will hafta do Screenshot_2018-01-23-19-13-13.png Screenshot_2018-01-23-19-13-46.png Screenshot_2018-01-23-19-14-07.png

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  5. 4mer trucker

4mer trucker Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2015
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    This is a gross oversimplification of course, but for us compared to the food service guys, we basically bring the skid to the back of the trailer and say “here you go”, or unload it with a liftgate if they don’t have a forklift.

Usually anything beyond that involves what we call “accessorial charges” such as liftgate and inside delivery fees, typically paid for in advance and if they are not, the service doesn’t get performed.

The food service drivers on the other hand are hauling their own product and as such are typically expected to do inside deliveries, stock shelves, rotate product, etc...

This will vary widely depending on your run and how far away you go. I run about 100 miles from the yard and typically do 10-11 hours daily.

7. jgarciajr40

Jun 18, 2016
    How do you continue with your deliveries if you notice your pick ups are starting to fill the trailer back up?

Example, you deliver 2 pallets but pick four up.

Do you move freight around all day from within the truck? With a jack

8. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    It's obviously ideal to be completely empty before making pickups but isn't always possible, in which case you have to juggle the freight with a pallet jack as you mentioned. Some companies will ship stuff with us as well as receive, so drivers with routes they know well might ask certain customers if they have anything shipping out when they make their delivery so they don't have to waste time later backtracking when they get dispatched with that pickup later on in the day.

It's all about efficiency, but there's a limit to this. There's a point at which moving freight around can start to be a waste of time. City drivers also need to know what all deliveries remain before they make the decision to pickup enroute. You don't want to find out your last stop is a 6 ft wide skid going to a place without a dock after you have blocked it with an earlier pickup. Similarly, you can't pick up something wide before finishing your deliveries. My dad would call that situation "painting yourself into a corner."

9. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Or just go linehaul and the only thing you're picking up and dropping off is a set of trailers ... without the supervision and friendly advice of customers.

speedyk and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  10. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Slightly more active XPO board, and lots of other LTL boards there...XPO Logistics

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I don’t. I work a nice tight area so I never have to make pickups before I’m empty.

That’s one reason I took that run. :cool:

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.