APU broken, no A/C to sleeper, help!

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by jaytrucker78, Jun 19, 2018.

1. jaytrucker78

jaytrucker78 Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2018
    i have a 2013 KW T700. I have a Thermoking Tripac APU on it, which broke AGAIN, so not going to bother fixing it. So far it’s cost me more in repairs than what it saved in fuel. So done with it, just going to idle.

Problem I am having is the A/C in front is ice cold, but the air blowing in the sleeper is warm. I have the front and back controls all set to cool, but nothing seems to make it blow cold.

I have read other posts, and saw that apparently the unit in the sleeper is a seperate unit, but still uses the same main compressor as the front.

I also saw something about a “blending door” not closing/opening and improperly mixing the air.

I am not too mechamically inclined, but can figure out most things. Also not made of riches to keep paying overpriced mechanics. What can I look for/do/adjust/check to troubleshoot this?

Any help appreciated, pics would be great too. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Hulld Thanks this.
  4. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    Do you have air at all in bunk ....my hoses under sleeper come loose some times ...lift up mattress there is an access door

5. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    The valve to your heater core could be stuck open letting hot coolant circulate when it shouldn't. Or you could have a bad expansion valve.

The heater core valve is an easier fix.

6. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Look for the coolant valves on the right side of your engine. Locate the one which supplies the heater core in the sleeper with antifreeze. Shut it off. If the AC in the back suddenly gets cold at that point, you'll looking at a heater control valve issue. PACCAR products tend to have issues with those more often in the driver compartment, but it's not like it never happens with the sleeper.

7. mitchtazz

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    I have an 09 T660 and the valve can not be operated manually. Only option to test is to turn heat off then disconnect return coolant hose from valve while engine is running.

If coolant is flowing then the valve is open when it should be closed.

8. WitchingHour

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    I'd just use hose clamp pliers.

9. mitchtazz

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    With my luck I'd probably end up cutting through the hose instead of clamping it off. I've been meaning to put a 1/4 turn shut off valve on my heater core lines, but it's been 5yrs and I've yet to do it.

WitchingHour Thanks this.
  10. WitchingHour

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Life gets in the way. I know how that goes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.