are brokers optional?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by kidz bop, Sep 15, 2019.

1. kidz bop

kidz bop Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2017
    i'm not an owner op. but to me it sounds like brokers are entirely optional. would like to hear random people's thoughts on this topic.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, they are optional. You can be your own sales person knock on doors get your own customers, or you can hire a sales person to go out there knock on doors to get customers for you.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Or you could get a family member or someone close to be a broker give the cheapo loads to the Chicago Volvo club and keep the good paying ones.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Easier said than done-
    Businesses aren't just going to feed a broker work for you to pick thru good and bad loads.

Especially now in these times.........Established carriers and Brokers are having tough times

Ffx95 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    If sitting for 2 weeks and walking from company to company to get a load back home is an option, then certainly you can do without brokers.

The longest i ever sat looking for a load was 2 or 3 hours trying to get out of syracuse. Maybe 40 calls and a bit of sweating on my end as the day ticked down [booking loads is a bankers hours game] and i contemplated deadheading to buffalo or pittsburgh for better chances the next day. Without leaving the spot i dropped at or wasting much fuel/time, i was able to book a nearby load to pittsburg then a good load from there to where i wanted and had a record week.

Without brokers id probably still be sitting there. They only suck when they suck. The rest of the time theyre the hand that feeds.

86scotty and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  7. Petty Cash

Petty Cash Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I haven't hauled for a broker in well over a year. I'd hazard a guess the last broker load I pulled was in May, maybe even April of 2018.

8. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    How long did it take you to get to that point? Not making any statements, just curious.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. Petty Cash

Jan 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    About a year, a little more. I started running heavily for the brokers bouncing around mainly OH and IN while I worked on soliciting smaller local shops around home and slowly built up a small customer base and worked hard to keep them happy on their shorter runs. That has been the key for me. It keeps me close so I can reliably provide them with capacity and I'm always close enough to DH home.

Dino soar, autopaint, Long FLD and 2 others Thank this.
  10. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    Good deal. You feeling any market downturns? Is this contracted scheduled freight or call in day by day gigs?

11. Petty Cash

Jan 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I've mainly hauled for construction contractors this year, so I'm probably not the best person to ask, but my other customers are still holding pretty steady, about the same volume as they shipped last year.

FoolsErrand Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.