Automatic Transmission VS Stick

Discussion in 'Swift' started by ronvicki6653, Nov 15, 2016.

1. JOHNQPUBLIC

JOHNQPUBLIC Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York

Drove a KW T680 auto that had a little over 300k on it when I went to a different company. Never a maintemamce issue or amy indications one was coming any time soon.

Lifetime average fuel mileage was around 8 mpg and I pulled a lot of heavy loads and visited the mountains a fair amount of time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ric Rabbit

Ric Rabbit Light Load Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Atlanta metro area GA
    You officious "auto" lovers are either handicapped or trolls!!
    Glad you like 'em 'cause your a "truck driver" NOT!!

8MPG "open road" might be believable . . . . but in heavy Atlanta traffic almost everyday my 10 year old 9 speed C13 is getting almost 6MPG, almost double the "hot rod autos" which totally SUCK!!

p.s. did I mention my Pete is almost "a ton" lighter?? Can haul more freight??

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  4. JOHNQPUBLIC

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    Ha, troll. Yeah right.

I drove in both types of traffic including heavy Atlanta, Chicago and every major city from St Louis & Dallas east.

As far as not being a real truck driver, sounds like you better disconnect your power steering, brakes, air ride, AC and any other advancement to trucking in the last 40 or 50 years so you can be an even "realler" truck driver like the ones from years ago who had none of that.

Just keep stroking your stick shift because it sounds like that's how you feel manly and good about yourself I am so impressed.

5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Every 40th load you've hauled one for free....

6. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    I have driven 10, 13, and 18 spd manuals. The only manual I really hated was a meritor tranny in a fleet truck my company bought with 500,000 miles on it. It would not come out of gear sometimes....I came up to a stop sign loaded in 7th gear and it would not come out. Couldn't start out in 7th.....but wish I had tried too. Shut the truck, restarted, etc.....finally it popped out with about hundred pounds of pressure on the stick. That was the last time I drove that truck.

Otherwise I have always driven an Eaton tranny with no problem.

I could not believe I got stuck in a little bit of snow in the parking lot with a manual tranny....had to wrap a chain around one drive wheel to get out....had good tires, but I could not feather it out without the chain. An auto would have done the same thing.

Drove a 12spd auto with a dd 14 liter engine....what a combo. That thing would pull up hills perfect and would downshift going down hills perfect too. Was easy to back under trailers. It was a pleasure to drive that truck., even though it was an international day cab that was a little bouncy over the bumps. I would take that engine tranny combo any day of the week.....you could count on that tranny to shift at the right time 100% of the time. I have not driven an auto on a snow packed road, so I don't know how well it would perform there....might drive a manual on those days.....

7. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Been driving over 25 years, and the last 3 in a auto, and I will say that I love it. Especially pulling hills and city traffic.

JOHNQPUBLIC and Pumpkin Oval Head Thank this.
  8. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    [ I have not driven an auto on a snow packed road, so I don't know how well it would perform there....might drive a manual on those days.....[/QUOTE]

I have and it just means that a little more careful. In the past I was in a storm with my auto and a single wides on the tractor and a empty 40" tin can behind me, and it handled just great. Again, just have to pay a little more attention. I have been driving a auto for 3 years now, in all types of weather

JOHNQPUBLIC and Pumpkin Oval Head Thank this.
  9. JOHNQPUBLIC

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    I drove that auto in lots of snow / ice, with super singles. No issues.

Pumpkin Oval Head Thanks this.
  10. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Middle of nowhere Montana

I'm not sure if this is a troll post or serious?

I am leaning towards troll post anybody that brags about getting 6 miles to the gallon and thinking that's good has to be a troll.

When I drove my 10-speed automatic for three months basically doing local in my Cascadia with sleeper granted it was not Atlanta traffic. It was Seattle& Tacoma which I would say can be worse.

Averaged about 75 to 150 miles a day my truck was getting 8.32 mpg avarge weight was 42,000 in the box hauled old scrap paper from Seattle to right outside Tacoma near Fort Lewis and I was a geek I didn't trust a Qualcomm or the truck mpg.

Did it the old fashion way pen and paper even though it was a company truck and I really shouldn't given a crap.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.