Average Pay Today?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by reefertank, Apr 15, 2020.

1. reefertank

reefertank Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    Been out of the trucking game for nearly 3 years and just got back on the road. What's the pay range like these days? Technically I'm not new, I have 15 months experience.

I get about 3500 miles a week at 40 cpm. Is that low? Roughly $1,400+ a week *GROSS PAY*.

I drive a cold box X country. Home time is 2-3 days a month.

On my 18th month I'm going to ask for 42cpm and at the 2 year mark 44cpm. Or should I ask for more? I'll likely still get 3500-4000 miles a week.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Same as it was. Probably less now that freight as fallen, meat plants are closed etc. (3000 at souix city pork plant closed, 450 of them are infected.) Cass Index says more falling is expected as our Nation grinds to a halt with 16 million filers for unemployment last thursday and up to 25 million tomorrow morning expected to file. At least.

We have managed to put more people out of work and incur expenses far greater than WW2 and the Great Depression by two to three times within the last 4 weeks alone with a unknown number of further losses in everything going ahead.

Four of our Carriers are tied up with sick. One left of all 5 is staying at sea where no one can infect them. And so on.

4. reefertank

reefertank Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    I know all that. Let me rephrase the question, what was pay like up until a month ago? So swift is still paying 36 cpm?

Lumper Humper Thanks this.
  5. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Your working way harder than me for the same or less money. I get .47 for pulling a reefer. Average about 2900 a week and once a month get a bonus of up to 8.5 cpm depending on miles cruise use and a few other factors that averages around a grand a month.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  6. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    I think the pay is a bit light for the amount of effort you put in.

I'm getting 0.48 per mile + 0.08 per mile as a "per dium pay" (tax free/reimbursement) + activity pays

Reset at home with at least a day off per week. Typically less than 2k miles a week. Average gross pay at the account is about 1500 per week. Checks have been hitting close to that number. With the drop off of shipping volume at that account, I'll be moving over to a yard jockey job. Home every day. 5 day work week. Hourly with OT. Should gross at about 1300 with a 40hr week. If they can't hit that number I'll find something else....

If I were in your shoes I would be looking for a more regional/local gig.

77fib77 and BackwoodsGA Thank this.
  7. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    No, they have had a sliding pay scale unless they went down or your in student training the pay should be that low, if that is the when you upgrade your average should be 38+ again its a sliding scale less for the long runs and more for low runs.

Swift is low pay the average is 37,000, swift might have on-site whatever they want but when I was booking it top end of 3k a week was still bad compared money I made in construction. The only way get better pay to become a trainer that in itself self entirely different beast I would never suggest this but it's your life that goes if they drive you off a cliff.
    For those who never worked for swift 3k is not normal I had a great DM only reason I liked them that in itself can make all the difference. I recommend anyone from Albuquerque, NM

The data on pay from Best Paying Trucking Companies List and indeed, and few others keep in mind they will try boost the numbers but when your in back list of pay makes you wonder why you here.
    To the ones content more power to you but I think most the educated ones will look for greener pastures I recommend get your 2 years if you can move on to anywhere you want but Walmart they want 30 months so if your aim is that stay 30 months and be on a waiting list am told the drivers don't like the changes but I personally wouldn't know.

8. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    What company are you currently driving for?

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

Deere hunter Thanks this.
  9. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    That is a LOT of driving.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

10. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    40 cpm is what I was making in 98.

11. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Where do you live? Hiring area makes a difference.

Freight volumes are going down now, closures and less hours in the future.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.