B service?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Mountaintrucker4302, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I do what most service places or dealers consider a B service every 20K.

Oil, filter, fuel & fuel water separator filters, lube.

Every 2 or 3 i do the coolant filter.

DEF filter at 250K.

Of all the things in the whole world to skimp on, oil and filters ain't it.

I've 0 pity for people that do.

InTooDeep, AModelCat and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The interval on the MX13 is 75k if you’re 80k and below and above 6mpg average. I can’t recall off the top of my head what the severe interval is, but i think it was based on engine hours and not miles. Since I’m above 80k sometimes and sometimes dip below 6mpg I settled in the middle, and I followed what a friend of mine is doing with his MX13’s that run 95k gross.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  4. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I have to admit that I am quite shocked at the service intervals that engine manufacturers are recommending.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Why? It’s no different than putting a bypass filter on an old engine. I’m not familiar with Cummins or Detroit, but my Paccar doesn’t have regular spin-on filters.

PE_T Thanks this.
  6. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Here’s the filter housing on the MX13

14D8EE2F-86A9-438A-84D0-8470A3E6124F.png

7. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I am old school, I have a 3406E cat. Change oil and filters at 12k. Even synthetic oil breaks down. The longer the service interval the dirtier the oil becomes. The oil filter can only collect so much. Dirty oil wears out internally lubricated parts prematurely, ESPECIALLY rod and main bearings. I would NEVER put a bypass filter on an old engine. Basically that's why I am shocked.

Speed_Drums and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Thanks, I am not familiar with the paccar engines. Older engines like mine, if taken care of get 1.3 to 1.5 million miles by just doing rod and main bearings. What kind of miles are these engines getting before an overhaul?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I'm coming up on 720k stock.

Mountaintrucker4302 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

There is no reason to be shocked by the engine manufacturer oil change recommendation. You have to pay attention to what they’re telling you. Don’t just breeze through the manual. If you think they’re telling you that everyone should change their oil every 50,000 miles or higher, you clearly did not pay attention.

On the DD15, there are three categories for service: Severe, short haul, and long haul. Each one of these will be further broken down into miles and engine hours. You go by whichever comes first. Some engine manuals will also include the “time” the oil has been inside the engine. All of these are intended to protect the engine from damage—but you have to pay attention. Understand what you are reading. If you cannot do that, then just change the engine oil every 5,000 miles and forget about it.

Attached Files:

Long FLD Thanks this.
  11. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    If you run an OPS or similar bypass the oil won’t break down as fast and it will stay cleaner. That’s basically the technology that has trickled down and is finally making its way to the OEM’s. Also, I’m running 10-30, not sure what the other two call for now.

And I’m at 470k on mine, I’m not sure what guys are getting out of these. In 2015 the MX13 had quite a few changes from the early design they had. About the only thing mine has in common with the first gen ones is the block.

PE_T Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.