Beam question loading ?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Hype6477, May 22, 2018.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I think somebody said earlier those had to be unloaded with a forklift.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Psshh, a good hard brake in reverse will get that junk off. :D

Tug Toy and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Just do it like I had to do when I unloaded some poor farmer’s mower attachment once. Back up to a tree and wrap a chain around it. :laughing6:

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    PPDCT, Tug Toy and skellr Thank this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    If you set down some 4x4's they could still load and off load with a fork lift. I know I could do it,.. how competent they guy is a matter of debate.

Hurst

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  6. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, depending on the size of the lift you might have to unload them one at a time, which means getting some space between what you can pick.

PPDCT and Tug Toy Thank this.
  7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I did a load of those over sized tires for the mine trucks. The place I delivered to said as long as I made it there by 4pm they would off load me.

I arrived at 3:50PM. I go inside to check in. They said their forklift driver had left for the weekend. I would have to come back on Monday to be offloaded.

When I get pissed,.. there is almost nothing I wont do. I had a reload paying very good set up for Sat morning. I was not going to cancel. So I had a "Hold my beer moment".

I saw where they had the tires stacked up out in the yard. I 45'd my truck to the trailer being parallel with the stacks. I put it in 4th gear and let her eat. The trailer dumped over and scared me a bit as the 5th wheel locked on the back of my tractor frame. I thought the trailer was going to flip over. I didnt expect that. All but 1 tire at the rear of my deck came off. The one on top of it ended up leaning on my trailer. It took me 2 more yanks to get it off. I left,.. forged the BOL signature and never heard anything about that from the broker or my carrier.

I look back on that and I'm like WTF was I thinking? LOL

Hurst

Brettj3876, Tug Toy and LoneCowboy Thank this.
  8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

Well yeah,.. they can be set one at a time. But it can be done.

I would pick it at the tip of the forks to set it in the one on the trailer,.. then rinse and repeat for the rest until I got them all on there. Use a wedge to hold up the beam and slide the next one under it. Under over,.. under over,.. 20 mins tops.

Hurst

Hype6477 and LoneCowboy Thank this.
  9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    one option that would keep the load low and easy to secure. Put 4 across the deck on the flange ends, put dunnage on top, load the last 3 on flange ends on top. Forklift should be able to handle load/unload easy that way.

MACK E-6 and Hurst Thank this.
  10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Need a bigger forklift....

11. Hype6477

Hype6477 Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Socal
    Thank you everyone for your reply. Yea I like @Hurst idea I need to find a wedge to do what I want. I can lay the top beam flat and will do that next time I get my next load till I can find a proper wedge to use.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.