Beginning a journey at Danny Herman Trucking

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Thrasher28, Nov 30, 2022.

1. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Whenever we'd see one of those rigs, my flatbed trainer always used to say, "Looks like a nice job, but I don't know about dealing with 40 securement points."

Banker and BennysPennys Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Does Leila still work in recruiting?

4. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I owned and operated a flatbed 30 years ago and I will take the 28-36 straps (7-9 cars) I generally load today versus the 8-10 chains I threw years ago.
    You would be surprised at how fast it can be done once a good routine is mastered. Kind of like in flatbed I do my best not to walk around that rig any more times than necessary.

ducnut and insipidtoast Thank this.
  5. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    How long would you say the learning curve takes? I like that the company you linked trains drivers. It sounds like they take near rookies too.

Are there any carhaul companies that are a little more casual though? I'm just looking for a job for two years. I don't need the pension. Perhaps there's a place with less retirement benefits but more pay? Also, probably a bit unorthodox, but do any of those companies allow a rider?

6. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    When I was trained they told us you don’t really become a good carhauler for 5 years. You can generally get proficient at it in less than 6 months or so but every one is different. If you have a desire to try it I would do it because you may like it. I am not sure what companies allow riders. You probably will just have to call a few and see if they suit your needs.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  7. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    The thing to keep in mind too is that it's not all about the pay. Drivers waste a lot of money jumping companies when they could just stick it out with one that's good enough.

Is DHT still running the same old routes or do they now go to new geographic areas (PNW, The area above AZ and NM, great plains)? I remember running the same routes all the time. Some were good like I-40, but I couldn't stand I-35 and playing local driver in the DFW area every other time I was there. What would it cost those guys to pick up some new customers in Utah or South Dakota or somewhere? I remember multiple times when drivers would get stuck in Calexico or Nogales. Maybe they need to hire some more people in sales? One time there were a large number of us getting layed over in Nogales during driver appreciation week. They ended up having to buy a ton of meat for the BBQ to feed us that day. 27 hour layover in Phoenix though! That's rough. I think that's one of the hardest parts about trucking. If they would just tell you, "hey get ready to sit for 27 hours after your delivery in Phoenix" - you could really plan out something fun. Get a ride to popcorn and movies. Go rent some clubs and hit up the driving range. Go get a masage. Whatever, but you just sit there half expecting a load message to pop up suddenly. That messed with my head.

When I was there, I drove a truck not quite as worn as yours, but those maintenance items messed with my head too. Between shops on the road and DHT company shops, I think my last summer there I had the APU in the shop ten times in a two month period for the same power failure. I think they finally figured out what the problem was at the Phillipsburg, Missouri terminal. I can't remember what it was. My sense and that of other drivers was that the MO terminal was the one you wanted to be at for getting things fixed. That shop wasn't perfect either though. It was also my sense that those kenworths just are problematic trucks. They'd probably switch if they could, but I assume their freight contract stipulates they run a pure kw fleet.

I was laughing to myself when you mentioned that your transmission wouldn't shift. I remember that problem and getting told to disconnect the battery switch and wait, blah, blah blah.

I've been out of trucking for three years, and thinking about going back. I'd still consider dht even all the stuff I mentioned.

8. Thrasher28

Thrasher28 Heavy Load Member

Aug 12, 2021
    Bowling Green, KY
    I assume it’s the same routes. Headed from Greenville, NC to the greater Detroit area, so they definitely do a little bit of northern running.

Sitting and waiting on the officer to type up my level 2 inspection report here at the rest area east of Statesville, NC. Got stopped on a whim for random inspection. I’m glad nothing went wrong between delivery and here on the truck or I would have had to eat crow about people dropping junk lol. Luckily, it came back clean, which is why I take pre trips and post trips serious. Driving perfect and still got stopped for an inspection. The ‘it’s just 20 miles’ with bad equipment is a great way to end up with a list of violations.

9. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Clearly you're a cut above the rest, hopefully management takes notice. It's hard to get them to favor you, since you're solo. It seems like they only give the good runs to the teams, and unfortunately it sounds like trainer teams became their bread and butter. Maybe that's just a rumor.

Yes I remember going into MI once or twice. I also remember that lightbulb load from Los Angeles to Carlisle, PA.

10. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Still there?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.