BEST A.P.U.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by FREEBRD, Feb 5, 2010.

1. sakamskopsko

sakamskopsko Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Chicago
    Hey OLD MAN
    Can you tell me what generator unit you are using and what model roof top.
    How are you satisfied so far?
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FlyingTrucker

FlyingTrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Elizabeth City, NC
    I have a ProHeat unit that was sold to me by a Carrier dealer. In fact, my Proheat unit is one the last ones as they were being sold to Carrier. And Carrier has backed up any warranty work without any problems. And also there hasn't been big problems at all, ie: drive belt, alternator belt, and also a circuit board that I think was a bit pricey - but I have been happy with the reliability. Only thing I don't like it its kinda loud and I wish it would cool better. But lucky for me, I am able to most of resting at night where the cooling is pretty good. Ive always had plenty of elctricity and the heat works great, even though it is pretty heavy electrically because of using heat strips. Overall I am happy with unit, I just would like to those two changes to become available. Im hoping they will have some upgrades available sometime in the future. I bought my unit on my KW when it was brand new in June of 2006. It uses the engine water to keep the engine warm in the winter and the water temp and oil temp shows 110-125 degree after running at night with 20 mph winds and temps in the teens. I hope this helps someone ;with their endeavors.

4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Most have an experience with one, maybe two brands. So opinions really aren't by comparison. Any APU is better than none. :)

I was completely satisfied with a TK Tripac. My last one was used and the three years I had it, I only had one repair. I know Carrier's are well built also. The major difference is the noise level. Tripac's are much quieter than other models.

TriPac Dude Thanks this.
  5. Gentlemanfarmer

Gentlemanfarmer Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Greenville, FL
    I bought an HP 2000 APU about a month ago and had it installed at Mechanex SE in Atlanta. They didn't install it correctly and vented it on the floor, plus the engine is louder than my refer engine. I finally got the thing vented correctly at Mechanex in Charlotte but they didn't correct the noise problem.

The reason I bought this APU was that they advertised you could hang meet in the Arizona desert in the summer and have an Indian sweat lodge in the winter. Not quite! The coldest out of the vent so far is 60 degrees and it will only keep the cab temperature around 85 on hot day. I have had a couple of conversations with the representative at HP 2000 regarding the noise and his response was it should run quiet and have a temp at the vent of 40 degrees.

Overall, this APU is sucks. If they can't correct the problem I will have it removed and have a Thermo King Tripac installed. Haven't heard a discourage word about Thermo King.

TriPac Dude Thanks this.
  6. FLORIDAHEAVYHAUL

FLORIDAHEAVYHAUL Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2011
    High Springs, Florida
    Mantis........end of discussion.

7. walleyemaster

walleyemaster Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2011
    minnesota
    mantis....ha ha... tri pac best unit out there..!!!

TriPac Dude Thanks this.
  8. FLORIDAHEAVYHAUL

Jul 7, 2011
    High Springs, Florida
    Let's see.........Tri Pac 13,000 BTU cooling. and 7500 BTU heating vs Mantis 32,000 BTU for heating and cooling. Let me think.......which would I rather have in Arizona in August with a high of 107. Just can't seem to make a choice.......and the Tri Pac has a 2 cylinder engine vs 3 cylinder on the Mantis. Tri Pac HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Really? 13,000 vs 32,000!!!! go ahead sweat your ### off. No skin off my nose.

buddyvuk Thanks this.
  9. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri

And where do you get warranty work done? Do they stock parts? How many locations in the US?

buddyvuk Thanks this.
  10. FLORIDAHEAVYHAUL

Jul 7, 2011
    High Springs, Florida
    Google Mantis APU and you can get that info. As far as I know, very reliable. I would be more interested in performance than service availability. I have been in a truck that had a 15,000 BTU unit. Didn't cut it as far as I am concerned. I like a cold truck though. My comfort is worth a lot to me.

buddyvuk Thanks this.
  11. Gentlemanfarmer

Gentlemanfarmer Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Greenville, FL
    I have an HP 2000 APU which was installed in Atlanta, GA by Snider Tire (Mechanix SE). Friendly folks, but not installed 100% correct. Went to another Mechanix in Charlotte who did a fine job re-venting but couldn't solve the cooling and noise problem. Then belts started slipping and oil leaked out. Frustrated and wanting the machine removed, I called the manufacturer and spoke with the owner.

Gary Parks, owner of Parks Industries and makers of HP2000, said he wanted to correct the problem and arranged for his senior technician to meet me in Orlando to make the repairs. Those were completed today in about three hours. Minor problems, but nice to have the tech that invented the cooling system come to make the repair. He drove 15 hours for three hour job and missed his wedding anniversary. Not many companies will stand behind their product that way.

Once all repairs corrected, this APU runs like a charm and I will be getting a muffler upgrade in January which will lower the exhaust noise even more.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
    x#1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.