Best cell phone plan for OTR

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by Midnightrider909, Dec 2, 2016.

1. mladen86

mladen86 Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Chicago,il
    I was with verizon,10gb of data and unlimited text/talk,and maybe 4 years ago i heard thru friends about company called e-wireless out of santa monica.
    They had some kind of a deal with verizon,meaning you're still under verizon coverage but now i had unlimited data/text/talk whyle paying my bill to e wirelles. Never had a problem ever since,paying 140$ monthly.

Midnightrider909 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Do you run all 48

KillingTime Thanks this.
  4. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Dunno if Little Cat uses any data....
    I use Straight Talk. It's priced at $45 Unltd talk/ text & 5g data at 4G speeds. For $55 you get 10g of high speed data.

Thing is, if you aren't in a 4g or LTE area, say most of I-80 in Wyoming, you won't have access to data. You can still talk / text, but no TTR surfing.

5. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    All carriers have dead spots, and sprint is not "true unlimited". Best deal for data is TMobile, "binge on" doesn't count against your data using Netflix/hulu/hbo now/Spotify, and you can add it to any plan above 5gig.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

ATT & Verizon have the most widespread coverage. EVERYONE else has significant gaps in coverage. How good is a plan that is $10 less per month but frequently unavailable, especially once you leave the big interstate highways. StraightTalk & Cricket give you a break on price but still use the big networks. I vote Verizon.

7. Kamkor

Kamkor Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Wellington, TX
    I actually get good service with Cricket through those areas, but it could be because I'm using a Moto X Pure with every band Cricket uses, Both LTE and HSPA.

8. Eska

Eska Light Load Member

Dec 21, 2015
    I do everything thru my phone, finding loads, getting rate confs, paying bills, watching movies, etc...
    No signal means, no business. so i would say verizon is the best out there. coverage is unbelievable. in the middle of nowhere, no signs of life but you can be sure that you ll have a 4g signal most likely. in montana there is very small dead areas. in idaho i90 has a small dead area too but other than that its all good.

tscottme Thanks this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It all depends on your travels. And if you have a newer phone or not. Wether you're west coast or east coast. Cell coverage is better on the east then the west.

There's a big difference in coverage with the newer phones. And EVERY carrier has improved on their coverage.

My verizon s6 gets better coverage then my verizon note2. Except at home. My sprint note 2 got better coverage at the end of my OTR then it had at the beginning of my OTR. But they've also added 10,000 new cells. And obtained a new CEO.
    Att and Tmo have also expanded their coverage. But i've never had their services.

the push to have better 911 services has something to do with the improved coverage. Add to the fact that the all mighty cell phone is putting computers out of business AND the local dialtone. And will probably be the new internet source for all things streaming.

To ask the people the best service, when most are probably still using older phones. You won't get a straight answer for a couple more years when more drivers step up to the newer signal and technology.

I was impressed with the coverage of my old sprint phone towards the end of my OTR. Wished i would have gotten a newer phone before leaving the highways to see how much they improved. I was also impressed with the newer verizon coverage. And for the first time out of 5 verizon phones. I've actually got something still working and not falling apart. First verizon phone to last more then 3 months and it's going on 1 year.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is G5 coming. I suspect that it is now possible to replace a Internet based on Fiber and Wires. All wireless. I don't know about you but I somewhat stand against that kind of net. Yes that big 90 pound computer under my desk I built with two hands is a dinosaur dead years ahead of schedule. And yes Smart phones are really something else, especially when they now stream to a large screen LCD device to really make it video and audio. Im learning stuff that were a fantasy 10 years ago in College about this IT stuff.

Heck, I just started streaming my gaming to the world, like anyone will pay attention to that sort of think. It wont be too long before music is on the way as well what little there is of it. I don't yet have a connection worth a #### for that sort of stuff. But it's coming. And when it does get here, prices per month must drop and speeds both upload and download must increase 5 fold.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.