Big Problem With Load Right Now

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by Gold_Miner, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gold_Miner

Gold_Miner Medium Load Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Burnet, TX
    I picked up a load of paper today in New Orleans and left the shipper. Looked for the first scale on my route and it was 82 miles away in McComb, MS. The load was supposed to be 42,000 lbs. so I put my tandems in hole number 10, which is usually good for these loads. Next I checked if I would pass any open scales and I would not. Followed all the protocols...Right?

So I got to McComb, MS (which happened to be USA Fuel Solution stop) and weighed the load. To my horror the load scaled at 86, 020 lbs..
    I had 40,000+ on tandems and 32,000+ on drives. So I called dispatch (night after hours) and here is how the conversation went;

Dispatcher: Truck Number (did not say hi or nothing, did not tell me his name or nothing)
    Me: ####
    Dispatcher: How can I help you?
    Me: I am over gross and I am 82 miles from shipper.
    Dispatcher: Take the load back to shipper.
    Me: They are closed after 5pm and are not open on Saturday or Sunday.
    Dispatcher: Looks like you are going to sit at a truck stop all weekend.

I called again and they routed me back to New Orleans drop yard. I will be taking it there in the morning. There well be problems, I have to see if I can find way around Louisiana scale and risk losing CSA Points and in my opinion if I get a ticket USA should pay it. I followed all the rules of the game and may still get screwed.

In my opinion, The first dispatcher was rude and should not talk to anyone in this manner. If USA want to actually have driver retention program, hiring dispatchers that talk to drivers in a professional polite manner. When I call dispatch, I am professional, polite and respectful. It is not that hard to try and help your drivers out of a bad situation.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DGStrong71

DGStrong71 Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2013
    70° west
    The TA in Slidell would have been in route before any DOT scales and the Big Easy right there in New Orleans also has a scale. You screwed up bro.

Reycer, Thomas0810 and J_FROG Thank this.
  4. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Overweight violations don't effect your CSA score. And small inspection stations are not shown on the map. You're not that bad driver you're only 6000 over gross which is a decent fine but not much. The over on axles 2 and 3 is the worst. Could be worse though I was 11000 over gross when I was in MO 5300 over gross in IA and 5100 over gross in Nebraska yesterday. Didn't get caught luckily but I was over.

You are the driver its you're repsonibilty to know your weight that is what USA will say. When in doubt weigh you did just not soon enough. Sometimes its best to pay $5 and weigh at a grain elevator I have done that a couple times when I was freight hauling. What route are you taking back to the drop yard and I can tell you the best way around the scales.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    Gold_Miner Thanks this.
  5. landstar8891

landstar8891 Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    I would run it and get it off my wagon ASAP...Just saying...

I would route myself through the back woods and take a long scenic country ride.I would also drive the night shift and fly under the radar.....You will be amazed whats on them old back roads...

Live a little Kid..You will be ok....

6. Gold_Miner

Nov 4, 2011
    Burnet, TX
    Route was on I55 north, did not go thru Slidell and the scale in Big Easy was not on route either. I checked the CAT site and my GPS. It said nearest CAT scale on route was the one I used.

I knew you would say I screwed up, you always do..

7. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    I constantly read about guys that drive for the megas having overweight problems.

Why in the world don't they put air gauges in their trucks????

Rugerfan Thanks this.
  8. Gold_Miner

Nov 4, 2011
    Burnet, TX
    Yeah, I thought I was using the first scale in my route. I could have gone out of route 20 miles and got a closer scale, but the load was supposed to be 42,000, so I didn't expect to to be over gross...

9. Gold_Miner

Nov 4, 2011
    Burnet, TX
    They are cheap... That is why they hire new drivers to hold the stearing wheel for .28 cpm. When they get a raise above .36 cpm, they find a reason to can them...

10. DGStrong71

DGStrong71 Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2013
    70° west
    We'd be luck if the trailers had any air the bags.

Thomas0810 Thanks this.
  11. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    I love my air gauges... I can tell to within a few hundred pounds of what I'm at just by looking at them. Has saved me alot of time

Gold_Miner Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.