Blind side backing

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lonewolf2000, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Lonewolf2000

Lonewolf2000 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    I actually guided a guy the other day doing a blind side.

86scotty Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    i go to one stop on thursdays, a mexican kid is one of the spotters there, using an over the road truck, sleeper. this kid has it down really well, i watched him blind side a container, flew right in. my opinion, this kid is doing GREAT, and the next time i see him, i going to tell him how well he does backing. Practice makes perfect, and he does it very well.

Texas_hwy_287, Lepton1 and Hammer166 Thank this.
  4. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I used to deliver to yard in Toronto and always had to blind side bAck in. Power passenger mirror makes it a piece of cake. If in doubt get out of truck and LOOK:D

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Nothereoften and tscottme Thank this.
  5. towmantater

towmantater Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Do it slow, do it safe. At your cdl test they tell you you can only get out limited amount of times, can only pull up a limited amount of times. I the real World, that's horse manure. You can get out and pull up as many times as you need in order to do it safely. If it takes you an hour to get in the slot, okay what's the big deal? Which would you prefer: spend an hour to do it safely or rush through it and hurt somebody and/or jack some mess up like your trailer or the warehouse.

And if your dispatcher starts blowing up your phone...ignore him. What's he going to do? Teleport to your location? Nope, he ain't. He's gonna sit there and blow up your phone and anything else he can get to until you answer. Just ignore. Call em back later when you're done tell him your phone didn't have signal. Then take and get him some tickets to a sports team he likes ;)

Bfr38 Thanks this.
  6. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I watched a Landstar OO one time at a truck stop BLIND SIDE back a long ### trailer into a tight spot (that was right next to my truck) better and smoother than I could have hoped to have done it sight side. I walked up to him when he got out of his truck and let him know in no uncertain terms I was VERY impressed. He didn't do one pull up and didn't even slow down. It was almost like watching a train car on rails drive into a warehouse slot. Perfectly centered and perfectly smooth. And when he got done the entire rig was perfectly centered between the lines.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
  8. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    that wasn't me lol

Bfr38, tinytim and tscottme Thank this.
  9. CDL Noob

CDL Noob Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Thank You!

I was doing a blind side back and had the CB on (mistake), and there was a chorus of other drivers - alleged professionals - cat-calling, and cursing me for being slow on my back and jeering me for the 3 pull ups I used to take back some real estate once I was generally in the hole, and the 3 GOALs I did to verify the space I had.

I got in centered, no paint shared, no metal bent, and no flat animals or pedestrians...this was my first and only blind side back since school...it took me about 4 minutes.

I wonder how many of the guys who were giving me #### on the radio were the ones driving the beat up, broke down, sad, sorry looking trucks with cracked bumpers, and look like they hit everything but the lottery?

Bfr38, tinytim and scottied67 Thank this.
  10. towmantater

towmantater Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Don't worry about it. Truckers run their mouth regardless.

Bfr38 Thanks this.
  11. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Electric mirrors make it so much easier.
    A regular customer that I go to in Gardena I have to blindside every week because of their warehouse set up.

Dave_in_AZ and tscottme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.