Booking reefer loads vs dry van?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by TallJoe, Feb 11, 2018.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I've been observing the load boards lately from a reefer angle, and I noticed that reefer loads, at least judging by the rates posted, do not pay that much more than dry van loads. It does not make sense for a reefer lane to be at same level as a dry van, unless too money people bought themselves reefers. Would that be right? But I don't think so...
    So it makes me think, that either in the reefer world, you don't take freight from load boards as much as it is done in the dry van area but rather your deal directly with brokers. The load boards postings for reefers are leftovers.. Is it correct?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Juve1985

Juve1985 Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Some carriers work directly with shippers while some look for freight on loadboard. Unless you can have a good account directly with shipper there is no point of having reefer, I've tried hauling containers, flats, reefer and really easiest is dry van. The point is if broker really needs reefer and u have one and u happend to be in the area you will get the money, if freight is slow trust me brokers don't really care if they need reefer they know load will be covered easy so they pay just as dry van, I really don't see the point of having reefer unless you can work directly with shipper that needs reefer

TallJoe Thanks this.
  4. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Let me ask...Are you a Juventus Turin FC fan?
    They had the best team ever in 1982 - 1985....I think.

5. Juve1985

Nov 12, 2014
    Lol YES, big time..since I was 5 year old

TallJoe Thanks this.
  6. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I was a teen in the 80s and was crazy about them too!

7. Juve1985

Nov 12, 2014
    Yea they won Chamions league in 85 which is also when I was born so they have been part of my life since I started watching soccer

8. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    A hell of a game at Hazel back then. Very bloody. You could not help hating Liverpool.

lynchy Thanks this.
  9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    From my experience. Pulling 100% brokered dry van freight off load boards since late 2011. And since mid 2016 pulling a mix of 25% dry van freight (all in a van trailer) 75% reefer freight (and nearly zero dry loads in the reefer).

Typical reefer freight from the load boards ALWAYS pays better than typical van freight. Even when freight and rates were down for both segments reefer was always decent whereas van absolutely sucks.

Yes there are some garbage rates posted for reefers. It's load board freight and that is to be expected. Posted rates are not a trustworthy gauge. No-one laughs at a $1,500 quote on a 500 mile reefer haul even when freight is down in my area. That's pretty much a low end "book it now" kind of rate with a reefer anymore. Try that with a van even in the best of times and they cry bloody murder.

Reefer is much better than van freight. My van collects cobwebs staying parked most of the year. You're in Chicago. A great area for both vans and reefer. But reefer rates there and Wisconsin blow van rates out even when van rates are solid.

You don't need direct accounts with one truck to exploit the demand for reefers. I have brokers in my home area begging me to consistently haul their reefer freight. For some OK rates. That never happens with my van. Guys who say it does with van freight are working REALLY cheap. It's just not in my hard wiring to work with that consistency and the same brokers all the time. I just don't care for it. Some people do but I prefer to roll the dice mixing things up and have no issues at all loading up that reefer.

You can watch some loads start cheap and very dramatically go thru the roof rates wise as the day progresses. You'll see this much more than with vans. The worst part and my biggest complaint about reefer is the odd shipping and receiving hours. And LOTS of shorthaul loads 400+/- miles that are 2 day transit times based off weird shipping hours like a 9 pm pickup time and a 17:00 delivery time the next day. These have to be priced right to be worth it. Brokers love to push a flashy rate per mile rates on these odd hours 2 day transit loads that are actually a loser to your profitability. Rate per mile is not the way with these it's revenue per day.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Reason for edit: rate per mile revenue per day comment added
  10. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I need to stop paying attention to those posted rates and making judgments based on them. It is just too easy to sort by the rate column and look at the top. This could be discouraging to stick to your guns and demand what you consider appropriate. I always wondered how come some guys, even those posting on this forum, can get such great rates and I wallow in mediocrity. Those posted rates, if taken at face value, make a man too shy to ask for more.

11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    That is the whole point of a posted rate and one of the oldest broker tricks. It mentally anchors you to automatically assume that is the limit of what the load will pay. Which is sometimes true but sometimes it's wishful thinking. And it's not really great rates it's going rates. You just always have to push to figure out how far they will go.

Posted rates have their place. You can gauge what's going on by looking at them over time. They go up and down with the normal ups and downs. I always sort by posted rate too. I look at the 15 day averages on DAT when there isn't a posted rate. That's a decent ball park usually. But ultimately I know what I need going somewhere to be worthwhile so that's what I go after regardless of posted rates or 15 days averages.

Besides there are other details that affect a rate and make me ask for more money. Especially screwed up shipping and receiving hours that effectively turn what should be an easy 1 day short haul load into something that actually eats a lot of usable hours in 2 days of your time. See a lot of those with reefer. But that's not necessarily a bad thing it can lucrative.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.