Box Temp

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by LandslideRich, Jan 26, 2017.

1. LandslideRich

LandslideRich Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm sitting with a load of berries waiting for my first drop to open in the morning. I have my unit set to +34 continuous but my box temp is sitting steady at 35.3. This unit is usually spot on when in continuous. Should I be worried?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ryan423

Ryan423 Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2016
    California
    No.

LandslideRich Thanks this.
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    No. When you set it at 32,33,34, it is trying to push air out at exactly that temperature. Rather than say it's a warm day and you put it at -10 it just goes as cold as possible until it gets there. It does that so it doesn't freeze the top layer like old units would. 35 is fine just remember any berries or leafy greens MUST run continuous. You can cheat a little with other commodities but never with berries especially.

5. LandslideRich

Jan 13, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanx! It did go down to 34 by the time I got up. I'm newly back in the reefer game and these units have come a long way since I last pulled them. I guess the same holds true for lettuce? I'm picking up a mixed load of celery and lettuce tomorrow morning.

6. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Box temp=ambient temp in wagon--and only way to truly know--is to pulp...and I would be much more concerned w/berries(depending on what kind)if you were off to the low side--
    and in constant run--you really need to watch unit for at least 10 minutes---especially once unti has reached setpoint--because it cycles between cool/heat constantly and will float couple of degrees in each direction
    You'll be fine

7. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Pulp the product first, especially berries and cherries. Do not accept a load that doesn't pulp within a degree or two of the set point.

Your reefer unit is not a blast chiller and will not cool a hot load in transit.

One exception is onions, potatoes and carrots, they are sometimes loaded hot, straight from the field and they'll want them run at 50° continuous.

rollin coal and LandslideRich Thank this.
  8. HaulinCars

HaulinCars Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Central Florida
    Hey, just curious and interested in learning more about other segments of the industry than my own...

What do you mean when you say "pulp the load"?

Also, just wondering, why do berries need the unit to run continuious?

Thanks in advance for sharing!

9. LandslideRich

Jan 13, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    Pulping means checking the temperature of the product. Its done by inserting the probe of a thermometer randomly into the actual fruit, etc. The reefer unit is made to maintain temperature of the load. Not actually cool it so it's important to make sure it's been properly cooled before you let them load it.

Running the unit on continuous prevents the top layer of the load from freezing. When the unit runs on continuous it only blows the temp it's set at. On stop start it will blow colder than set point to bring the box temp down when it kicks on.

HaulinCars, Suspect Zero and nax Thank this.
  10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Berries and leafy greens are very sensitive to temperatures outside their mostly 33-34 range. Even outside that a few degrees can shorten shelf life or damage the product. Other produce like apples onions potatoes lemons oranges etc. you can get away with a little more fluctuation since they are less sensitive to small variations in temperature. Every produce broker will tell you to run it continuous for whatever reason ...you learn as you go what you can get away with... Lots of it is common sense too. I did lots of apples and they are happy as long as they pulp between 33 and lower than 40. In summer can do start stop 33..winter start stop 37. Even in start stop if you set it at 33 or 34 it will try to blow the air out at exactly that temperature. It doesn't just blow in freezing cold air until box temp is happy. Old units did that, anything relatively new does not.

11. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Light Load Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Reason you run continuous is because it it is easier on the unit. Anything above 10 degrees should be a continuous mode. Anything under 10 you're basically frozen load and a bigger gap in the times your unit would be kicking off and on. It wouldn't take as long to reach out of range then your unit would be kicking on then back off with a big fluctuation of temp. With continuous it cycles between cool/heat keeping a precise temp.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.