Box temperature is always 3 degrees higher than setpoint

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Daddybakez, May 27, 2021.

1. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Then why are you guys telling me to clean trash out when I already cleaned the trash out? I don't get it.

alds and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    No you don't have to clean the trash out, but over many years dirt and dust will get up in there and could plug it up. I don't and have never pulled a refer so I have absolutely no idea what you guys are even talking about but I've seen those same plugs in other applications. AC drains or just drains for tool boxes or damp locations vents or whatever. And they can get plugged up.

I was just responding to the question of why would you stick a coat hanger up there. To clean out the goo

truckdriver31 and slow.rider Thank this.
  4. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Gotcha. I check if they have stuff in them by pinching them at the top. This tends to detach any caked-on grit up there, which then falls out when I pinch open the flat part at the bottom.

lester and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  5. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    yea i know. but have you ever seen how far up trash can get. you would be amazed how much is up in that hose

lester Thanks this.
  6. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Ya it can get all the way to the top, which I check from inside the reefer. Although I guess there could still be a unchecked gap between the top of the bottom and the bottom of the top. But my main point was plugs may not be quite so urgent if his hoses close on their own.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  7. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    i just always plugged them on frozen loads. air tight

slow.rider Thanks this.
  8. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Does it happen to be an used Prime trailer? I picked one up a couple weeks ago and it does the same thing. I send it at 45 continuous and it hangs out at 47. Since I’m hauling sweet potatoes I haven’t messed with it.
    My old trailer was always tail heavy. This trailer my first two loads I’ve been in the 76-78k range and still haven’t had to move my tandems. Other then the noisy defrost cycle I really like this trailer.

slow.rider and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  9. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    I got mine from Prime in Springfield MO. Had it 2 weeks now. A 2016 Wabash intermodal. They took most of the intermodal stuff off but I had them leave the bumper rails on. What'd you get?

10. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX

It’s a 16 Utility with a carrier. Took a new Great Dane van from IN out to SLC to pick up the trailer. This morning when I woke up the outside temp was colder than my reefer. Wouldn’t you know it my reefer was 43 and I had it set for 45, running continuous. I think it’s some prime setting. Other then a precool I’ve never seen it more than 2 degrees away from the set temperature.

11. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Nice, well they do have heaters also, and they'll use either one as needed. Utilitys are real nice, I consider them well built and functional, but for some reason I just can't stand the offset clearance lights, lol. You might see a wider temp range on start/stop but that'd be normal, like +/-5 I think.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.