Broken shock mount - told to pick up load

Discussion in 'Western Express' started by blairandgretchen, Feb 12, 2014.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    So - my brother in law rings this morning. He went for a "refresher course" with western express. He's out with another guy that needs "refreshing" - what a wonderful idea.

He discovered a broken shock mount, passenger front - sheared off from frame. He calls breakdown, they call dispatch, who tells driver to go pick up load and get this fixed later.

Frustrated, he calls me. I call safety. No answer. Leave message. I email safety. Still waiting. He is Qualcomm messaging despatch who tells him it is more "cost efficient" to pick load up and fix truck later.

I know - Western Express. Real class outfit.

Any inside pointers on who to call on this one? He's not prepared to move the truck until its to a repair location - I'd be happier seeing it towed in.

I haven't dealt with these bottom feeders before - my catfish skills are lacking! He obviously needs the job, good record, just no current experience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Is the frame broke. Tell him to take a picture and send it to you. Let's see what he is talking about.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Goes to show loads/money are more important then safety which applies to a lot of carriers.Keep calling safety.When dispatcher said they'll get it fixed later,that could mean a week from now.

TruckDuo and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  5. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Says the bolt from the frame is sheared off - had it in to a TA who told him that a section of frame would need replaced, and referred him to a dealership. International prostar 2012.

He's got a basic phone and not in a great area, I'll see if he can send me a pic.

6. I'm assuming now that it will be the top of the shock that is loose. He needs to secure the shock from flopping around. Also. Another reason to tell safety. That it could and can interfer with steering the truck. Might light a fire under someone's butt.

blairandgretchen and TruckDuo Thank this.
  7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Plz let us know what your friend decides to do.Don't be surprised if safety tells him to call his dispatcher.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  8. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    His DM is telling him it is not a DOT OOS violation, and to pick up the load.
    He's in a poor service area, I told him to send pics when he can.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  9. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Will do. He's not keen on picking up a load with it like this - I sure wouldn't. Then again, I'd never work for them either.

pattyj Thanks this.
  10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Hows his dm know that.Bet hes never even seen the inside of a trk.They'll say anything to get that load picked up.

blairandgretchen and TruckDuo Thank this.
  11. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Its an endless loop - safety, breakdown, back to DM. DM says move. Rinse and repeat. What a joke of a company.

pattyj Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.