Broker's rates....

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by OscarGoldman, Mar 26, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    What if it’s a contract and over the course of 3 or 5 years or whatever the shipper is well aware that sometimes the broker takes a loss to move the loads so in their eyes it’s all even over the course of the contract? What if the broker is good at moving the loads and as far as the shipper is concerned they don’t see any hiccups as far as loads getting picked up and delivered? What if the shipper doesn’t feel they’re getting bent over because overall they are happy with the service?

larry2903, D.Tibbitt, Siinman and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Brokers and shippers aren't the problem.
    It's your fellow drivers.
    Stuff has to get moved, what we're willing to move it for determines a range of rates.
    Stop moving stuff for cheap and we all will be better off.

You'd be amazed when loads aren't moving how quick rates will go up.

4. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    How do you know the brokers are lying to the shippers?
    Do you have some inside information?

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Because it’s impossible for two parties to both be happy with an agreement they’ve made. Therefore brokers are lying to shippers and then turning around and lying to truckers. At least that’s what I get out of it. But I’ve been told in another thread that I’m not allowed to have any opinions on broker relationships because I’m a glorified company driver that’s just leased to a carrier.

mitmaks, Dino soar, larry2903 and 5 others Thank this.
  6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    This is well thrashed out - so I have to ask what the motivation for the question is.

My answer - doesn’t matter, if I get the rate I need to turn the key, I’m all good.

It’s pretty rare I get full transparency anyway, and it doesn’t concern me once I’ve pulled the trigger.

7. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    You're joking right?

Most brokers lie all the time.

Stike up a conversation with smaller shippers, mom and pop places etc and they can be pretty open and revealing including on money.

Unfortunately I get lied to often by brokers.
    Recently had one that said load is ready to go
    and is first come first serve
    I book it and when I get there shipper tells me I'm not in the system and so that means I'm a work in. No first come first serve, it's all appointments and they'll likely get to me at end of day after all appointments
    Shipper got me in touch of head of Operations who flat out said broker knows how we work and they lied to you and that they said driver knew they would be a work in!

I don't tolerate getting lied to and screwed over so I didn't sit there and take it.

mitmaks, TheLoadOut and Siinman Thank this.
  8. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Sounds like you need to find better brokers. Or quit using them.

9. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Oh I agree and if they say something like that I just go ok good luck. I laugh at them most of the time and they get offend. TQL is the worst that does it more than anyone else. But I have also hauled loads for them that paid well above market price. It all is part of doing business.

Jubal Early Times Thanks this.
  10. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Not sure who told you that, but I’d ignore it. I’m leased to LS and I deal with‘agents’ , who in turn generally deal with brokers.

Not many left that actually deal with the shipper, and often the shipper doesn’t exclusively put the loads through LS, they’re shopping around too.

Sone times they use us based on equipment type or service, not always.

11. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    More like a steering wheel holder. You give yourself too much credit on company driver. Ha Ha

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.