Buglist for Garmin Dezl 770

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by SteveBausch, Mar 31, 2017.

1. SteveBausch

SteveBausch Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Update 2018.10 is okay, so far. The graphics are the same, perhaps the grsphics are slightly different.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I am very disappointed in my 770. Going through any large Texas city it does not know that the entire freeway is being rebuilt. Gives me ramps that are no loner there. Tries to tell me I am off route as the freeway has moved slightly. Then it tries to recalculate and takes forever. Often when exiting a truck stop it wants me to go in the opposite direction and then take the next exit ramp and head in the correct direction. In Saskatchewan it often wants to send me the opposite direction and drive up to 60 miles and turn around. Not good. When looking for POI's that I have installed it shows 100's that are in the wrong direction and on the wrong highway. Up ahead does the same. I have called Garmin and get excuses.

4. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

That will be the case for every GPS brand. Every manufacturer uses third party maps; most of them from Navteq.

When is the last time you updated your maps? The Garmin doesn't update automatically.

Friend Thanks this.
  5. Brucesmith

Jun 16, 2012
    Updated last week and checked today. No new updates.

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Garmin will typically push out a map update about every quarter, but these rarely offer much help. Construction finishes take about 6-18 months sometimes before Navteq gets them fully updated with post-construction, finished road reality.

Software updates will come out as needed. Don't confuse software updates with map updates. And don't expect any GPS to be aware of construction changes to exits and lane options.

Garmin has always had odd quirks in terms of routing. But so do others. Garmin probably more than RM. But I've learned what to expect from my Garmin and where to expect potential issues. Garmin's POI database is pretty much useless as it's so outdated and largely inaccurate. I assume nothing has changed between older units like mine and the newer units as far as missing many truck stops in existence 5+ years

7. Brucesmith

Jun 16, 2012
    I use POI's from the POI database not from Garmin.

8. SteveBausch

SteveBausch Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Here's a head scratcher:

Address is
    550 N Hobbie Ave
    Kankakee IL 60901

It's in the data base, a route is generated, but I cannot save (and then edit the title, etc) the location.

If I recall as Recent, the option to Save is also not offered.

However, I can save
    552 N Hobbie Ave
    And
    548 N Hobbie Ave
    And
    546 N Hobbie Ave
    And
    549 N Hobbie Ave

Just not 550 N Hobbie Ave

9. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    I replaced a RM 520 with the Garmin Dezl 770, I'm a gadget person, so I have like 3 GPS just because...lol...anyways my RM 720 runs right next to my Garmin 770 and I can tell you my RM 720 I s much more accurate than Garmin 770....similar troubles with the 770 as yall have stated here....I do like the voice command, but one thing I don't like is as the OP said here is 770 has limited/no routing preferences...maybe they will come up with an update...IDK....but if I upgrade my RM 720 I won't go to the problematic RM 740, I will buy a RM 730 refurbished...I use my RM Atlas, it's just I'm a gadget girl and like tooling wit gps, over the years RM Atlas it's been good in all lower 48 states and Canada I run..lol

Dirty-Low-Walker Thanks this.
  10. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I have the fastest route checked, not the shortest, but it still routes me on two lane roads and not the interstate. You can't trust it. I have had it route me into a town instead of going up 1 mile to the next exit for a much easier entrance to an industrial park. The worst is delivering to CEVA in Gallatin, Th. You go down the road and it's quiet, but coming back that same road it says No Trucks Allowed and tries to route you into a road with a sign that says No Trucks Allowed.

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Garmin's biggest bug is they don't care about bugs. They make it difficult if not impossible to report issues. Don't respond to issue submissions. And don't correct issues.

I wish they cared about their truck/auto gps navigation devices like they do their avionics systems.

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.