I'm currently working as a driver for a small fleet (less than 10 trucks). We are getting newer 2016 model trucks and want to be able to run into California. I've been researching the CARB laws in California but they are still a little blurry. I seen two posts where somebody said that as long as 10% of your fleet has trailer side skirts, then you are okay, but I can't find the actual regulation to this. Can somebody help me? Is the 10% rule actually valid or do all trailers need side skirts?
California skirt laws
Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by orangesunrise, Feb 18, 2019.
Page 1 of 2
-
-
Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds
Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.
-
Not sure but while you're researching this, can you also find out why most of the grocers' fleet trailers who operate out of California do not have skirts?
Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
KB3MMX and Diesel Dave Thank this. -
First they required skirts then they said underride chunks of computer shaped plastics could do the same thing and now they have these thin little pieces they bolt onto the back of the trailer that eliminates drag and does the same thing as the skirt. I wouldn't even worry about it, there are no CARB police patrolling around.Bakerman Thanks this. -
I prefer short skirts.
Bakerman, IH Truck Guy, 91B20H8 and 5 others Thank this. -
I like about mid thigh myself... less chance of a wardrobe malfunction when I am getting into and out of my truck.
-
i agree 100%
-
If the trailer is newer than 2015 and has a skirt run it If it doesn't run it also, your not the manufacturer or salesman.
It's a trailer not a refer unit or Carb attracting truck.MagnumaMoose Thanks this. -
Okay, is everybody through guessing and making wise-cracks?

This spells it out pretty well without having to wade through a bunch of legal jargon:
A Look at the California-Compliant Trailer
If you want a more detailed and probably more accurate explanation:
https://www.arb.ca.gov/cc/hdghg/hdghg_overview_web_pres.pdfLast edited: Feb 19, 2019
brian991219, MagnumaMoose, orangesunrise and 1 other person Thank this. -
-
So glad i do not pull reefer, or dry van anymore. Seems like the State of fruits and nuts are so worried about Fuel economy, air pollution, clean air, and so forth. They better look at themselves first, as to state businesses, and the Smog issue that lingers over the entire L.A area on a daily basis. I can remeber when you could come off of Indio hill ( hwy 10) and seeall the way to L.A. Now you can barely see to Palm Springs. I believe there are other, more serious issues that need to be addressed first, before Californias air
Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds
Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.
Page 1 of 2