Can I Make It at Mercer?

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by Blind Driver, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I heard they tightened up hiring.....I'd start with that issue and go from there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    You need to do some serious time putting pencil to paper. You have zero clue about the operating cost of a truck and I'm saying that with respect and sincerity.
    You're missing alot of numbers in your basic calculations and there are many threads here that talk about how to do that.

Camelclutch, QuietStorm and bigguns Thank this.
  4. Reaper_Trucking

Reaper_Trucking Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Some numbers missing just to be helpful:

Fuel Tax
    Fuel Cost
    Permits, insurance, registration...
    HEALTH insurance (yes welcome to obama care if you dont have it you get fined)
    Annual Inspection Costs
    Routine Maintaince costs
    added equipment costs (qualcomm, satelite, ect)
    Are you setup as an LLC or bussiness, if not then you have those fees.. then you have yearly registar fees.
    Accountant, unless you will be handling it all yourself (these do not come cheap)

as far as freight goes, you should now how to figure optimal speed, for most efficient fuel MPG, 8.2 mpg is a big diffrence from 7.2mpg on your wallet..

a lone mountain truck will have limited warranty, even a new one, which will have full warranty, either way you still should have money set asside for the OH #### incidents, (warrantied do not cover tires, hoses, brakes, ect.. (stuff that wear out)).

A rule of thumb, is you want atleast $10k in the bank before even getting a truck... for maintaince..

Pharroh336 Thanks this.
  5. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    Slowly getting everything together :)

6. mickeymouseclub

mickeymouseclub Heavy Load Member

Mar 17, 2017
    blind driver, when you were here before , you tried to run east west coast constantly with loads that looked to have a big gross amount to get that percentage. you can have a much higher per mile average not running there. many end up with higher miles, higher gross but not as much net, just something to consider

back street slider Thanks this.
  7. Blind Driver

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    One of the problems with working for a contractor is I needed a really good rate on a sort run or a long run to keep me busy. Otherwise a Werner driver was pulling more money per day than I was.

8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    This is what i know. Many guys do just fine with a brand new truck and trailer. They aren't any smarter than you or i am so if they can make it here so can you.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    CJndaTruck Thanks this.
  9. Blind Driver

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    I've noticed that too. There are fools running for $1.05 a mile driving a Quality Leased truck and making a living at it.

10. Road Jouster

Road Jouster Light Load Member

Budget: Maintenance (PM, tires, tire repairs etc), and estimate in repair depending on year of truck. If used truck or with any miles on it get an oil analysis straight away!

Base plates, registration.
    Insurance (truck and trailer)
    Permits
    securement equipment and load enablement and management equipment.
    Fuel tax, company and personal tax.
    Savings for emergencies,
    Fuel and DEF estimates. DEF on later trucks is rarely considered. @ $45 +/- per thank for every 3 +/- fuel fill-ups adds up quickly. Fuel surcharge does not take DEF into account.
    Truck washes

Budget for required home & personal expenses with a cushion. O/O & drivers alike generally focus on truck operations expenses - not pay much attention to personal requirements.

You get they idea... good fortune to you!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    blade and Blind Driver Thank this.
  11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    That was supposed to say many guys. Stupid auto correct.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.