Can I Make It at Mercer?

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by Blind Driver, Apr 15, 2017.

1. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    And you think it's gonna be any different for you? I don't care what truck you got, things gonna break and go, and you must wrench it with your knowledge or you sir waiting for an opening at a stealership. Ungrateful

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Why should you care? Because if you actually want to do this you would of put the pants on and take notes

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  4. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    I've been taking "notes" for years. Too bad my former employers don't listen to the driver when he says something is wrong.

But anyway...truck will have manufactures warranty. If there's a problem, I'll tell them to fix it.

I'm not going to have the problems the contractor's did.

5. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Unlike cars, trucks do not come with a bumper to bumper 3 year warranty. Maintenance is expensive, even if you do the PMs by yourself, there are things you probably shouldn't....like cleaning the DEF filters.

back street slider Thanks this.
  6. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    those expenses may not be the same for you if you dont have an idiot in control of the proper maintenance of a truck

7. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    those expenses usually amount to more when your at the mercy of an idiotic company shop, most if not all of the issues ive had are problems the company shop itself created, i dont like to compare repair bills i have with a company truck to what i would have with my own truck as most issues are the direct result of company driver shop ignorance. yes you can have that at any shop but if your a company driver you dont have the choice to not go back and deal with them.

8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    While this is true it didn't apply in this case. The driver in question didn't work at some big mega fleet with ten thousand trucks and 250 "mechanics". He worked for a guy that owns 40 trucks with 1 or 2 in house mechanics. A small enough scale that the owner directly overseas the shop. While that doesnt eliminate the risk of getting a pisspoor mechanic, its a heck of a lot easier to figure out you got a bad one and replace him.

9. Fatmando

Fatmando Medium Load Member

May 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Until I know better than the experience of the guy that is already doing a thing, I tend to work from that experience, rather than my own conjecture, for expense estimation. I find that my conjecture usually turns out to be closer to fantasy than his experience. But whatever works for you... :)

10. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Still, at the end of the day it is a good measure of how high and how low different jobs can cost. Gives you a good idea of how much money it takes. And a lot drivers of owners like to bash an owners maintenance. But who's the one with the truck, and who's the one contracted?

Funny how people not in the ownership position got petty talk about how they can do better. Then do it, and bring back the owner his/her truck

spyder7723 and Fatmando Thank this.
  11. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    A truck to a business man is a tool, cost vs profit. Your not going to run and fix every little thing at the drop of a driver thinking something is bad. There is a very thin margin of profit when an owner pays a decent wage, on a W-2, pays in on FICA - state unemployment - federal unemployment- workmans comp -

Keeping the truck up is a priority but an owner is constantly faced with deciding the order of where things fit on the priority list.

If you want it all, go get your own and you decide what you want fixed. Or go work for the people driving orange trailers and orange trucks that can afford you

Klleetrucking and spyder7723 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.