canada HOS

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by mitmaks, May 24, 2017.

1. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Im not clear about canadian hos. I was told by companys log department that i can use US or Canadian logs in Canada. Im from US btw. So how many hours can I drive in CAN before I have to take 1/2 hr break? Do I take 10 hr break as well 8hrs consecutive in sleeper?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    You can drive 13 hours without a half hour break. You can drive 13 hours in a shift provided you don't exceed 14 hours on duty during the shift and don't exceed 13 hours driving or 14 hours on duty for the 24 hour period covered by your log sheet.

You have to have 10 hours off duty each day. 8 hours consecutive off duty gives you a new shift. The other two hours of off duty can be taken in a single 2 hour block or broken up. 30 consecutive minutes or greater off duty is applied to the required 10 hours.

The sticky thread in this Canadian Truckers Forum has all the details.

upnorthwpg and mitmaks Thank this.
  4. mitmaks

May 16, 2014
    That makes a bit more sense.

5. FwL

FwL Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Sandpoint, ID
    Running US logs in Canada can get you in trouble - especially if you're relying on e-logs to tell you if your legal or not.

Differences between US and Canadian HOS include:
    • Canada requires 36 hours OD for a reset.
    • Canada runs on a 7 day cycle rather than 8 day.
    • Canada requires 24 hours OD in every 14 day period and requires you to carry two weeks of logs to verify this OD time.
    • Canada requires 10 hrs off duty in every 24 hr period.

6. mitmaks

May 16, 2014
    I was told by log dept that I can run US logs in Canada. I was actually inspected 3 times in Canada and they didnt hassle me for US logs up there. Only thing they checked is if Ive taken my 10 and 1/2 hr breaks. Actually last time leo wanted to see my logs and Ive mentioned that Im on elog he said "have a safe trip"

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    No half hour break here, resets are 36 hours. 13 hours driving time, no driving after 14 hours on duty. No driving after 16 hours since the start of your shift. 10 total hours off duty, only 8 of which need to be consecutive.

not4hire Thanks this.
  8. mitmaks

May 16, 2014
    Taking 8hrs off duty gives me fresh 13hr drive time?

9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    If one of the 2 is true:
    You had a combination of 2 hours like 1 or 2 of each break at least 30 minutes, or
    You defer 2 hours off duty for "day 2" where day 1 + day 2 total on duty doesn't exceed 28 hours And total driving does not exceed 26 hours
    *you must mark on your log you are using off duty deferral and day 1 and day 2

The 16 hour rule only applies if your breaks during the day are at least 30 minutes. 13 driving 14 on duty over 16 total *breaks .5 or more each. Then you can split sleeper every day and your new day starts at end of 8 hour break, no screwing around.

10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    You still need 10 hours rest per day, but only 8 of it needs to be consecutive (unless doing split-sleeper).

The 8 consecutive hours can be off-duty or sleeper berth or any combination thereof. The remaining 2 hours, which do not need to be consecutive, can also be off-duty or sleeper berth or any combination thereof, and can follow or precede the 8 or be completely separate from the 8. For the 2 non-consecutive hours, if you break it up into segments no less than 30 minutes in duration, then those apply towards the 2 hours. If breaks are less than 30 minutes then they do not apply towards the 2 hour requirement. Of course you can take a full 2 hours if you wish.

The 16 hour rule "applies" every time you start work. It is called the work shift. In simple terms, you have 16 hours to complete your driving and/or on-duty for the day. After 16 hours, you must take at least the 8 consecutive hours off-duty. The 16 hour rule only really comes into play if you are maximizing your driving and on-duty and taking your 2 hour non-consecutive during your work day. That is typically what I did.

A sample day:
    5-30 minute pre-trip/fuel (usually 15-ish minutes)
    3 hours drive
    30 minute coffee break
    4 hours drive
    1 hour lunch
    3 hours drive
    30 minute coffee break
    3 hours drive
    Note: Canada only requires one inspection every 24 hours (while working). It can be a pre-trip, post-trip or at any point during the day. Just don't exceed 24 hours since the last one.

You can also make use of downtime when waiting on shippers/receivers towards your 2 hours non-consecutive. As noted in a previous post, you do not have to take breaks during the day, you can have your 10 hours off all consecutive if you wish. I just never liked doing it that way.

I wouldn't get into deferral or split-sleeper (any combination of hours in two periods adding up to 10 so long as the least of which is no less than 2 hours) for newbs until they get a decent grasp of the regular HOS. Once you do though, it makes sense pretty quick.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    MarkH129, mitmaks and gokiddogo Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.