Can't Recommend Millis Transfer Anymore

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Nashville, Mar 10, 2023.

1. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Our company is the exception-we don’t do lease/purchase-we don’t have to!
    All of our equipment is paid for!

TB John Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    You've worked for every company in Wisconsin? You have a book for a resume?

Soltaker, JoeyJunk, mjd4277 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Jenkins2020

Jenkins2020 Light Load Member

May 28, 2020
    Yep, Millis was my first OTR company and I went through their CDL program right when Heartland took over. I agree on all the things you mentioned. Their training program was excellent, but after that it's hit or miss. I thought perhaps I was doing something wrong because of the crappy miles I was getting. Never argued with dispatch or refused loads. I remember my final straw was when I sat at the Trenton terminal for 3 days without any word from dispatch, despite sending them messages and obviously sending ready for dispatch. I did my 1 year and left. The last person who was in my class left 2 months after me.

Do yourself a favor. Get all endorsements, get rid of the auto restriction and do LTL. You will make double what any millis driver makes easily. I imagine the only people who want to stay there are just waiting on retirement or don't care about the money and just want a nice easy OTR company.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Sounds like you’ve just discovered the reason this thread is even here.

6. teams567

teams567 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2022
    Absolutely!

You can argue that limiting pay (which is what you experienced) goes on everywhere. But, I've noticed it's really evident in Wisconsin companies. A couple other guys on TR have said the same thing.

Halvor is probably most notable for this. Millis is in the top 5. Yeah there are a couple drivers doing real good: maybe the owners son, a relative, maybe they are paying for those miles.

Personally, if I were the owner of any company I would want my drivers doing 3300/miles a week. Available, not mandatory.

More miles= more revenue for the company. Keep those trucks busy. So what if a driver makes $135k a year. Dispatch only makes $40k.

They are jealous because they can't do it. Then there is the mentality (WI mentality) that they work in the office, they are above the driver. They should be making more. Put 'em out on i70 or i80 let's see what happens. They will get eaten alive..

After 30 miles or so they will be on the shoulder calling in 'I can't do this anymore' 'Come get the truck'.

Not sure what the turnover is at Knight/Milli but at Halvor it's 90 something %.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
    bzinger Thanks this.
  7. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Even at Marten?

bzinger and mjd4277 Thank this.
  8. Still undecided

Still undecided Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2019
    I got my start at Millis at the time of the buyout and can't disagree with anything Nashville said even though my experience was somewhat different. I still haven't found a way to write up my experience in a way that no good deed goes unpunished at best if it would make any difference, and agree with there being more money in LTL.

MIT, hotrod1653, Old_n_gray and 3 others Thank this.
  9. Sc0obyDoo

Sc0obyDoo Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Jesus dude. Can you condense it a little bit ?

10. Sc0obyDoo

Sc0obyDoo Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Millis went downhill as soon as Heartland bought them. Anyone who worked there or still works there will tell you the same thing. The trucks were stripped down, and they fired the best mechanics with no notice.

Ive been told by a dispatcher still there that the miles just arent there anymore. Opie will run your ### off, if you've proven yourself, and he doesn't have to babysit you. He will preplan you. But, he's also going to take care of his driver's he's known the longest. He wasn't my dispatcher, but I know.

Check your DAC report. DM will report EVERY single minor hiccup whether preventable or non-preventable. They want to turn you down to 66mph from 70mph. Just give them the slightest reason to.

Lastly, I never followed their fuel solutions. I never screwed them either. But, Im not driving 30 minutes out of route either. I never counted on my fuel bonus, so I didn't care.

11. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I thought it was a great post, unlike most 1 hit wonders. If it was too long, move on to the next, not a hard concept.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.