Carpal Tunnel Butt!?!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by downplay, Jun 3, 2023.

1. downplay

downplay Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2021
    I’m having a problem with my leg. It reminds me of when I had carpal tunnel.

If you don’t know, carpal tunnel is caused by blood flow being restricted to soft tissues for long periods.

My problem started as minor discomfort on the back of my left calf. It got worse and spread to the back of my thigh. It is only bad when I sit. If I stand, walk around, or lay down where the weight is off of it, I can feel there’s an issue but most of the discomfort goes away. It seems like it might be related to restricted blood flow much like carpal tunnel.

I had an ultrasound. They concluded it is not a DVT. But, I guess this makes sense as a blood clot should block blood flow no matter what position my body is in.

Anyone have any similar experiences!?! Know what it might be called?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    You need to go to a great neurologist or physiatrist.

Carpal tunnel is neuro; not vascular.

drh72 and dibstr Thank this.
  4. Gridaxe5588

Gridaxe5588 Light Load Member

Nov 23, 2022
    Sounds like Sciatica to me. Chiropractor can help with that.

5. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I concur.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor and the only thing I know about nerves and blood is that Kentuckian O Positive tastes the best.

6. Willy Wonty

Willy Wonty Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2020
    PNW, almost Canada
    ok, I laughed at that.

BennysPennys and Frank Speak Thank this.
  7. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    You are probably sitting too long, without moving around enough. How many hours do you sit, before getting out to walk around? Water the horse? Kick some tires? Write your name in the snow?
    In the mean time, take an aspirin or two every day, drink plenty of water, vitamins etc.

8. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    You didn’t say, but if you carry your wallet in your back pocket, make sure you remove it while driving. The first thing I do when I get to my truck every morning is hang my car keys on my mic keeper and stash my wallet in the console.

9. Gridaxe5588

Gridaxe5588 Light Load Member

Nov 23, 2022
    Exactly been so long ago my Chiropractor told me that I had forgotten.

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  10. downplay

downplay Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2021
    I think this is good advice. Unfortunately, the ER doctor referred me to an orthopedic doctor. I do see my GP Tuesday though, maybe they can make a different or better referral.

It is a bit like the description of sciatica: but, quite different too. I don’t feel any discomfort in my back and barely any in my buttock. It is nearly all in the leg.

From the Internet:

“Sciatica - Usually self-diagnosable
    Pain originates in the spine and radiates down the back of the leg. Sciatica typically affects only one side of the body.”

I stopped keeping a wallet in my back pocket at least 25-30 years ago. Yes, it is bad to sit unevenly. But, the back pockets are also the easiest targets for thieves. Actually, I don’t like a lot of stuff in my pockets in general. I carry a slim money clip these days.

I’m sure I’m not stopping or moving around enough for good health. But, I do stop more than many truck drivers. Really, a person shouldn’t sit more than about 45-50 minutes out of an hour. That is a tough schedule OTR. I had already planned to switch to a different kind of CDL job where I move around more; but, I wanted to wait a little longer. I’ve only been driving for 10 months.

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    An ortho is misguided, IMO. However, general practice might be mapped that way; ortho > neuro > ?. Hopefully, they’ll guide you to a solution.

You’re reading that too literally. The root of the sciatic nerve starts at the spinal cord. It doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll have pain the full length of it.

I do have a feeling sciatica is what you’re suffering from. It’s pretty common and those I know who’ve dealt with it describe similar symptoms as yours.

downplay Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.