Cascadia clutch

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by 4noReason, Oct 22, 2016.

1. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Ok bought a 2012 cascadia. No warnings nothing from clutch. I hit clutch n it just stayed in. I was able to move it in gear then out to neutral but i couldnt drive it. I towed it. My shop guy said the cylinder was full of grease and thinks he could just clean it. He said he was 100%. I dont beleive it though. They said monday they will do it. Do you think that could be a reason.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    yes that could be the reason but it's better to replace the cylinders all together

boneebone and 4noReason Thank this.
  4. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Unless you want it to fail again, it's better to replace them both with new ones.

Spend a little bit of money now, or more money later.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    fss99701 and 4noReason Thank this.
  5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Since they use a hydraulic master/slave on a cascadia, I would replace both. If the seal is bad on one end, the other isn't long for this world. I think the slave cylinder is external, so it's just a matter of remove and replace and maybe bleed it.

fss99701 Thanks this.
  6. Bob.g

Bob.g Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2015
    It's not the cylinder. A spring or something jumped off or something 100% the clutch is done either the disk or something but the clutch is done! If it was the hydrolics then you wouldn't be able to press the clutch. Your clutch is done 100% I just changed mine had a similar problem

mhyn Thanks this.
  7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    +1.
    clutch is done.

8. JeepJoey345

JeepJoey345 Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Eldersburg MD
    the springs will break or fall out of the solo's and cause the clutch pedal when depressed to drop to the floor.

When that happens you also need to make sure the slave cylinder hasn't pushed fluid behind itself, and is functioning correctly. What I mean by this is when the clutch fails, it can cause fluid to be on the wrong side of the slave and it has to be taken apart up top, then bled out correctly. I had a truck that had a failed clutch do this on me, and it sent me into a tailspin thinking I had a disc in backwards. Turns out unbolt the slave from the firewall, fluid on the wrong side of the cylinder, clear that all out, bleed the system, clutch works perfectly. This is after removing the transmission a second time to check the clutch discs. How fun.

QUALITYTRUCK and mhyn Thank this.
  9. Shrek3176

Shrek3176 Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2017
    I have a 2011 cascadia with a hydraulic clutch about half way down pedal gets extremely hard to push pedal won't return after it is depressed any ideas

10. Shyeem63

Shyeem63 Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Just put in a brand new clutch & master cylinder & slave cylinder on a 2012 freightliner cascadia... now my clutch pedal feels funny is that normal? I press 3inch down before the clutch engage. I have a self adjusting clutch as well. Is there anything I can do to add more resistance to the clutch pedal or it will do it on its own as I drive?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.