cat scale vs weigh station scale....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TrucKer 999 TriLLion, Jul 24, 2015.

1. TrucKer 999 TriLLion

TrucKer 999 TriLLion Light Load Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Ca
    anybody ever have problems?, having to go around back and adjust the weights....

happen to me 3 times on I 40 east in Arizona and once on I 10 east

once in Virginia, and Billings Montana....:biggrin_2552: :biggrin_25516:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Depending on which is closer after I pickup I use Cat Scales or Service Center scales. Mostly it's Cat scales and I have never had a problem. May be a Arizona DOT thing or something. Glad the let you adjust and didn't lay it on you.

tech10171968 Thanks this.
  4. Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Happened to me once in Virginia. I was a rookie at the time and had the trailer tandems slid all the way up, which put 35600 on the tandems. Guy at the weigh station called me out on it and gave me a half hour to adjust them. I moved the tandems back 6 pegs, re weighed, and was good to go. Shortly after, I learned to slide the tandems adjacent to the back end of the cargo, which my trainer neglected to tell me. Haven't had a run in with DOT since.

5. TrucKer 999 TriLLion

TrucKer 999 TriLLion Light Load Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Ca
    if I'm 12,500 on the steers, 32,800 on my drives ands 33,800 or trailer....on a cat scale... kenworth t660, about 3/4 fuel

arizona scale would probably show me at 10,920 steers, 35,500 on the drives and 32,720 on the trailer

6. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I agree; at least they gave you a chance to correct it instead of slapping you with a ticket right there and then. Same thing happened to me in Virginia on I-95 southbound a few years ago; I was about 1,000 over on my drives and was told to pull around, readjust it and reweigh. I thought that was nice of them to give me a chance to rectify an easily-correctable issue and thanked them for it.

BTW, I also learned from that incident that they apparently give you something like a 400 or 500 pound allowance for having an APU. Is that something done nationwide, or is that a state-by-state thing?

TROOPER to TRUCKER Thanks this.
  7. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    from my experiences
    the biggest thing is over gross
    i have been as heavy as 12600 on steers never had a problem
    axles and tires are 13000 rated anyway
    never had a scale house disagree with a Cat scale
    that i know of because i havn't been pulled around back

LoneCowboy Thanks this.
  8. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I knew some stated give you 1000 for the APU just didn't know which ones. I guess now I know VA is one

9. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Had to pull around and adjust at the tandems at the NB Roanoke scale. Too much on the drives. Got it on the first shot.

Was a problem child load to begin with. Loaded in Laredo and wasn't secured. Kept moving forward.

ProTrans in Memphis helped us redistribute the load and secure it and it STILL MOVED!!

10. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I haul tanker and I've been as much as 13,600lbs on the steers...Never had anyone call me on it. I've an APU so that could be a factor. I've had this situation on my previous truck, an '06 Pete 387, and it's pretty much the same with my '15 Cascadia. I have thought it should be a problem, but after 18 yrs of driving tanker, never had an issue. Makes you wonder. But they seem to be more concerned about the weight on the drives.
    I can slide the 5th wheel, but in order to take weight off the drives, and put more on the trailer. It's going to put more weight on the steers. This is assuming I'm under 80,000lbs. I'm a stickler for correct gross weight
    As I'm hauling chemicals/hazmat/tanker, my 5th is higher than usual, as high as 51" But no matter what I do, I'm always showing "heavy" on the steers, but fine on drives and trailer.
    I can only surmise that the scale guy isn't too bothered about the weight on the steers. I experience this in all of the states I'm going through.
    And even if he called me on it, there is nothing I can do about it. But like anything else...YMMV

Cranky Yankee Thanks this.
  11. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    From what I've been told, the APU allowance is for gross weight only. One officer told me that it wouldn't help you on axle weights, because if you are over on an axle, either you are loaded wrong, or didnt slide the axles and 5th wheel correctly.

tech10171968 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.