CDL B vs HVAC?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by kyle987, Dec 4, 2017.

1. kyle987

kyle987 Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2017
    I'll look into WIOA and CFI. Do you know if I can the grant with really bad credit? Like the worst thing you can get if you know what I mean. I live in Kill Devil Hills, NC and there is not much out here. The CDL school I'm looking at is Sage in Rocky Mount, about 3 hours from me. There's a community college but I don't think they offer CDL. After I get the CDL, if I can't get a decent job here I will move somewhere else on the east coast. Another thing that concerns me is learning the tractor trailer, the straight truck driving is easy, how much harder is it to learn tractor trailer?

slickWillie1980 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Sage is actually a HIGHLY acclaimed school, and the lower your credit, the better chance you have; it's a government grant.. for retraining. They are being pretty liberal with those for CDL's, because of the high turnover rate, and the lack of interest in the industry.

You should still check in to the Community College; you might be surprised. I live in a small po'dunk town in Ohio and two of the 'cornering' county schools, 25 mins either way, have a weekend program.

Learning the t/t combo is a learning 'curve' .... how long is your straight truck? It's actually easier, to a degree.

4. slickWillie1980

slickWillie1980 Medium Load Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Mt Olive, NC
    Let me put this in perspective a lil better.....
    I can go uptown to the local supply house and buy a brand new unit, let's say a medium line unit, for around 800 bucks. I then can install said unit, in one day 95 percent of the time, on your home and I'll charge you 6500 bucks. It'll take me 8 hours to do with minimal material.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. slickWillie1980

Sep 2, 2015
    Mt Olive, NC
    Hey I live south of Goldsboro

6. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    RIF Ed... Haven't heard that term in a long time... So did you buy yourself a boat, and call it the rift raft?

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I get that, and believe that. I dabbled myself, never got certified. Still do my OWN HVAC, did a 'bit' for the company I worked for in IT, as a 'journeyman.' Yeah, it was great money. I've got a BS degree in engineering/physics, however; was a requirement in the IT years; graduated from Lucent Technologies in Altamont Springs, Florida. Tis' why the HVAC 'scheme' of things (no pun intended, well maybe) was easy for me. I'm still a certified electrician, and ASE (but not diesel) certified, as well.

Trucking was the way it worked for me; then again, what I got paid when I was first OTR ( i got grandfathered in with my dad's rig, and trash route, then 'had' to recert due to dang regs...)
    is about what the starters are paying now.

I hear ya, Willie. However, if he doesn't feel his 'hands in the fan' wanting to do such, CDL might be a brave option.

On the final note, my wife's brother is the HVAC supervisor at Hofstra University, in NY. Worked his way up. All FOUR of his kids got 4 years free, and he banks a bunch.

Just depends, on many many factors. Were I still in HVAC, at 54, ....it'd be painful; no pun intened, once again!

Be safe, guys.
    Best wishes either way, OP!

Tomcat

slickWillie1980 Thanks this.
  8. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    LmFao.. I'm old, remember, man? And yep, posted a pic of the boat in my Garage thread, a while back. I didn't break it in half and use Flex Tape on a whim, though... Sorry, @slim shady .... LoL~! ;)

slim shady and RoadRooster Thank this.
  9. slickWillie1980

Sep 2, 2015
    Mt Olive, NC
    Oh man to each his own. My oldest son just ain't interested in any trades either so all is well. I myself find comfort in a truck. It's my medicine to be honest. I had alot of issues when I got out the military. Been around trucks all my life as my daddy drove. I truly believe that trucking saved my life. I drug a 359 out the weeds and went at it bringing her back to life and in turn she gave back to me.
    It's something about a Big Cam Cummins, some straight pipes and a nice heavy load in on the hopper well just does something to a man lol

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  10. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Yessir. Hoppers, tanks, pretty close. Here's 'my' ole gal.. my reason to enjoy the days~!
    I'm not military, but Kudos to you, and thank you. My dad and brothers went that route, I got left at home to take care of the farm, the trash route, and my mom.
    [​IMG]

kyle987 and slickWillie1980 Thank this.
  11. slickWillie1980

Sep 2, 2015
    Mt Olive, NC
    Well hello darlin lol. What's she got under the hood? Drive line?
    IMGA0010.jpg IMGA0011.jpg IMGA0014.jpg

G13Tomcat and kyle987 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.