Change my mind

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by God prefers Diesels, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Regional

Regional Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2020
    What about the California AB5 law? Doesn’t that not allow leasing on anymore?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TexasKGB

TexasKGB Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2019
    Fiddler's Green
    How much equity did you get out of it?

4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I say go for it man. I don’t say that very often. You don’t have to be a “real trucker” to be successful. In fact you are probably more “real trucker” then a lot of “real truckers”.

I tell people a lot... “Look... I love trucks, and I like trucking, but I do this to make money. This business is far too stressful to be doing for fun.”

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Funny you assumed the poster was a female, assuming by the avatar picture.

I’ve thanked all the posts I agree with.

The company drivers, retired company drivers and negative Nellys should refrain from advice giving.

Before I bought my first truck , I refrained from commenting in the owner operator affairs, and instead read and learned, with my stupid mouth (fingers) sealed.

Look at the starting point people - capital, and availability of credit.

@Ridgeline correct as often - don’t start touching the credit. If you do - be prepared to exit quickly.

@God prefers Diesels - from what I’ve read, you’re on the right track - some of that comes from the questions you ask - and ego less responses given. That speaks volume.

2nd - what’s the % of people who ask a similar question and offer no capital, trashed credit, high debt, and a poor mouth mentality - vs. “Experience, Grit, Humility, Diligence and Bravery”

?

Go forth and prosper, @God prefers Diesels .

Siinman, dunchues, Speed_Drums and 8 others Thank this.
  6. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    What the heck, you guys are supposed to talk me out of it!!! Seriously though, I'm humbled by the kind words, and emboldened by the encouragement. Thank you very much. Very much.

Today didn't go as planned. Wasted a lot of time on something that didn't pan out. At least I changed the oil in my pickup. Come Monday, I'm headed to Amarillo to look at that Western Star. If it checks out, I'll pull an oil sample. I got permission ahead of time, and they said it's old oil. He said they get them on the lot, and sell them as-is, so a new oil change won't be masking any problems at least. Anyways I have the kit, and I bought a vacuum pump to suck it out of the dipstick tube. Company said if I overnight the sample, they could potentially have my results emailed the next day. If it's good, I'll go back up there and buy it. I'll keep you guys posted.

Vampire, staceydude, Coffey and 3 others Thank this.
  7. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I understand. But tell me if this is a stupid idea - One of those cards has a 22k limit. A key feature, is if you used it to pay off other credit cards, it will carry 0% interest for one year. I was thinking about paying the bulk of my insurance with the other cards, paying them off with that card, and then basically making "insurance payments" to that card for my first year. Basically use the bank's capital, instead of mine. What do you think? I really want to keep enough in the bank to float settlements.

If this starts to go South, I'll duck out and go back to wireline.

8. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Don’t settle for the Western Star out of emotion, or effort. I looked at 3 before buying the one. Keep the mind open.

Yes, potential buying costs money and time, but is paid off with good choice.

9. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Credit lines as back up only - at least in my conservative approach.

Back to Wire Line thinking is failure - keep that far from thoughts until a last resort.

10. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I'm only going to buy that truck if it isn't already hacked to pieces and the oil sample comes back good. I keep telling myself that the price is low enough that an inframe right away wouldn't be bad, but I don't want to start out with a truck that needs an engine. Now if oil comes back good, and the engine blows up on the way home, that's a different story.

I promise you sir, I'll only go back to wireline to keep us from starving to death! Dually noted on the credit cards. Thank you.

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    EB5B2588-A37C-49D1-8596-F243FE233CBA.jpeg Ive always heard oil samples should be taken mid stream in the draining process. Seems to Me, that only applies after the Trucks been ran for a few minutes first. Just thought I’d throw that out there. I would want to see the drain plug. It should be magnetized, to check for metal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.