Checking in as a different carrier?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by TallJoe, Apr 5, 2018.

1. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    As long as I have contract with broker with my name on it. I will check in as

other carrier/my carrier.

Never had a problem

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I've checked in as another carrier many times over the years and it's never been an issue.

Expeditor, nightgunner and DSK333 Thank this.
  4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Landstar often ask you for that on their double brokered loads..

BoyWander and DSK333 Thank this.
  5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    We do that on a couple places we load out of. But we get the loads from the carrier we’re checking in as when they can’t cover them, and both are long term relationships for my boss. Not sure I’d be willing to do it for a broker that you don’t know well.

6. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Funny you say that because I was going to mention them but just going to say learn agency codes to avoid that and it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Tug Toy and DUNE-T Thank this.
  7. Petty Cash

Petty Cash Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    A couple of my regulars are brokerage divisions of a carrier that have totally different names from their carrier and I have to sign in under their carrier name.

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Question remains whether this sanctioned pretending to be someone else can somehow backfire at the pretender. It seems that it never does.

9. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    That's a possibility in the event the pretender doesn't get paid by the carrier or broker who gave them the load. Shipper/receiver could refuse payment saying you aren't the carrier of record. I wouldn't worry about it with a big carrier/brokerage that had stellar credit. Might be risky with unknown ones that were shaky.

10. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Was told to check in somewhere as XYZ trucking. Was large bold letters and highlighted. Broker called me and reminded me again before I got to pickup. Seemed sketchy to me but paid bananas and was a rush all the way around. Checked in...... as I’m loading a “tie guy” comes wandering over and asked me who I drive for? I didn’t answer real quick. Then he said let me make this simple..... what name is going to come back when I run the dot number on the side of your truck?

I answered truthfully but the “tie guy” was pissed. Broker called me 10 min later chewing my ###. I tried to explain to him the situation but wouldn’t stop yelling at me.

Tie guy came back down and apologize and said he would pay me direct for the load. I billed him an extra $100 and got paid in less than 20 days. Guy still calls and offers us work direct. But he seemed to run out of bananas to pay with? Lol

Ruthless and TallJoe Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.