Chicago-area carriers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Life on Wheels, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Life on Wheels

Life on Wheels Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I notice that there are always a lot of job ads from trucking companies based in or near Chicago. They post a lot on Craigslist in Las Vegas where I live. I have also noticed Chicago-area carriers don't have the best reputation on this forum.
    What can y'all tell me about them? Are they all shady? They sure seem to promise a lot of miles and money.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    They're mostly 1099 carriers.

sevenmph Thanks this.
  4. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    There are good ones if you know inside information ...and as @Chinatown mentioned they all 1099
    Dont end up with worst ones !

sevenmph and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Gulf States Intermodal was a good carrier out of Chicago, like 127th street or some such, across the street from Qualawash.
    Had a good sign on bonus at one time, close to 10k for o/o.
    I didn’t mind that terminal, do a lot of Chicago to Mi.
    Either Midland or Wyandotte

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    There's some reputable ones up there, that aren't 1099. GP Ttansco, Merx Global, Wheeling Transportation.....

7. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I'm not sure about Experior Transport though..

8. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I have worked for one of those 1099 companies. I'll tell you like this....I won't say it's all bad. I did make some consistent money. They will treat you very well, wine and dine the hell outta you. They'll take very good care of you. Contrary to popular belief they actually do take care if their equipment. Now here's the bad....you have to go in knowing you're going to get ####ed. They will deduct around 2000 bucks for escrow over a period of several checks. They say they give it back if you leave. That money will be gone whether you stay or go. Some try to get you open a company to disguise what they are doing. Paying 1099 to company drivers isn't legal so they will get you to open a corporation. As for how they run, they operate by their own rules. Some will get you to unplug the elog and drive to a shipper. Some will redo the logs and tell you only to drive. The thing is, eventually DOT will smarten up to this, if they haven't already. The reality is, you don't do those types of jobs unless you're ignorant to the industry, desperate for money, or in my case, needed career rehab. I had a dirty drug test and a few misdemeanors so I had to get that cleaned up, all the while honing my skills and getting better as a driver, gaining experience. Many drivers who have accidents and tickets take these jobs too. Once I saw more stable and legal opportunities become available, I quit doing 1099 jobs. It took 8 years total (6 of which were OTR with 1099 companies) to get back straight. So yes, they are crooks in many ways, but at the same time, they will take care of you. I can't say it was all bad. My advice, avoid if you can, however I'm not one to judge those who go that route. They are working, but if a driver goes that route, his expectations better be super low because he will get screwed over some kind of way.

9. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    What he said ! :)

Life on Wheels and bryan21384 Thank this.
  10. Life on Wheels

Life on Wheels Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    That pretty much answered my question! Thanks for responding. I was not inclined to work for a 1099 company before, and now I definitely won't.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  11. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Yes, Chicago gets bad rep because of all 1099 Eastern Companies companies in Elk Grove Village.

However, Chicago is one big transportation hub. There is plenty of work here. Plenty of legal work lol

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.