Chicken Feed Hauler

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mark_2wain, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Mark_2wain

Mark_2wain Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Virginia
    Anyone ever hauled chicken feed? Did you like it? Pros and cons?

And NO, I ain't talking bout that "high-speed chicken feed" out of West Memphis.

JB Hunt and JBS advertise positions for feed haulers in my area, going from feed mill to farms, but I've never heard much about it, and what it's like. Any info would be great!

Brettj3876 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    I only deliver to farms. Not feed, but animals - it’s an absolute #### storm. I love it.

Mark_2wain and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
  5. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Feed mills.

They’re bulk feed tankers with augers.
    You go to chicken houses regardless of weather, some are very fun to get too.
    I pull a hopper hauling ingredient to the mills, feather meal, meat and bone, soybean meals, They’ll mix it up, since it’s already ground into a powder.

AD14C42D-40B3-45E3-8ECE-BE83264BDE9C.jpeg 61F6811A-72C9-43DC-94A9-AE89829B93D3.jpeg

Oh.
    And feed mills have their own smell.
    If your sensitive to ick, you’ll hate it.
    It’s fun to have to take a meat and bone meal bath, like when the air hose falls on the pit while cleaning up and it blows chunks on you...

Mark_2wain Thanks this.
  6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas

auger unloading,
    What you’ll do the entire shift, back and forth to different chicken houses.

7. Mark_2wain

Oct 15, 2016
    Virginia
    You nailed my two biggest concerns.

I'm familiar with the smell near those mills. I think I'd be ok with pulling the feed. I don't know if I could stomach the renderings, though.

I live in VA, close to the WV line, and getting to some of these farms at night in the snow might not be worth what this company (JBS) is offering.

The job I'm looking at is home every day, 10-hour workdays, weekends off, and it pays pretty well, too. I'm just worried about being able to stomach it if they ask me to haul something other than feed, and these WVA roads ain't no joke! Especially in the weather!

Not an easy decision for me. I'm used to bumping docks and interstates/us-routes.

8. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    You shouldn’t have to mess with the raw material, we hoppers bring it in, you’d have the finished material,
    It’s not that bad, and the auger will unload it.
    If they come across with the money, and allow you home more, try it, take a 30 day leave of absence from current job, then see what you think of it.
    It’s an acquired taste.

JolliRoger and Mark_2wain Thank this.
  9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    We have a couple chicken feed mills around here. The one on the edge of town here only runs one shift 5 and sometime 6 days a week. The other one is, I think, 24/7. Come ice storm, snow and any other crap them chickens got to eat so you have to run no matter what. Same with the guys that do the live haul from the farms to the processors.

10. Mark_2wain

Oct 15, 2016
    Virginia
    That sounds like good advice right there. I think I'll give it a try. If I don't like it, I've got other options. I think it would be worth it to find out. Not many jobs in my area have the same perks.

I appreciate it! Not much info online about this side of trucking.

11. Mark_2wain

Oct 15, 2016
    Virginia
    Not excited about this. I wonder if they try to work with farmers to top off their feed when a storm is coming in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.