Cliff's Announcement and Company Transition

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by chemsoldier1, Jul 25, 2012.

1. chemsoldier1

chemsoldier1 Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Lufkin, TX
    Yesterday morning Cliff Beckham, President &CEO, called a meeting for everybody at Van Buren down to mechanics. According to my FM just about everybody at that terminal was in the ops room. She said that he proceeded to give a lengthy speech about another $3 million dollar loss for this quarter but instead of the usual conciliatory statement about "getting better, moving forward, trying harder, etc," he announced that the company was changing directions. He admitted that the attempted transition to a regional carrier had been a failure and had cost the company in terms of lost market share, lost drivers, and lost fuel economy. At the recommendation of the consulting firm and board, we would be transitioning back to an irregular route OTR company while leaving small regional groups as options for drivers who wanted them. On the grand scale, we would be dropping freight rates on long haul to attract more, raising rates on short haul and including a cost of living allowance for short haul that can't be immediately delivered, and opening up more westbound freight lanes. They are now aiming for an average LOH between 450-500 miles per load. He also hinted that the customer service section had been directed to broker out more of the "cheap freight" loads and short haul as a way to reestablish the position USA Truck once had in the OTR market. As a concession, he did say that the regional scheme was not gone completely but would be implemented on a 30 year plan due to extensive established competition in that market.

Just thought I'd share.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    For the sake of the Employees I hope he can turn things around. I actually applaud the fact he has finally admitted his mistakes, BUT till I see the company actually making money I will always contend Cliff Beckham is an idiot that needs to be fired by the board!

4. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    ok so we aren;t making money so lets cut the rates even more so we can make a profit ......excuse me if i don;t put that in my business plan

LSAgentOZR Thanks this.
  5. RetiredSarge

RetiredSarge Medium Load Member

Ok did anyone besides me call the number today to listen to the message from Cliff?

6. RetiredSarge

RetiredSarge Medium Load Member

at least it wasnt the usual BS and piss on my back telling me its raining speech. It was the we were wrong, things didnt pan out like we thought and we are going back to the old way, please bear with us kind of speech. He did say that they told some of there short haul vendors that they were not going to be hauling short haul stuff the same anymore. I guess we will see what happens

7. chemsoldier1

chemsoldier1 Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Lufkin, TX
    Bigdad7 I guess you didn't read it right. Take another look. They are raising rates on the short haul because we are losing money trying to concentrate on it. We are lowering rates on the long haul to try to get a competitive foot back in the door. The big 3 megacarriers are dominating that market because they are underbidding everybody. We can't make money on regional because most regional nowadays is specialized. It's either LTL or dedicated. We are not proficient as a company at EITHER. Dedicated requires long established relationships with customers and some type of hot commodity at either end. Most of the LTL loads I've done are in odd places, often small businesses in tight spots. Like today I delivered office furniture to a night club in the middle of a neighborhood. It took me 20 minutes to wiggle the truck into their "dock" without running over peoples front yards. This company employs too many students and ####### that wreck and can't trip plan to be reliable for a lot of specialized loads. Long haul irregular route is what this company was founded on and is what will make it successful again. I'm just glad that Cliff has finally relented from the clinical insanity plan.

8. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    i see what your saying just hate the idea of lowering longhaul rates as a way to get business instead of selling service but i guess that is just the nature of the beast but agreed students running that specialized stuff is a recipe for disaster

LSAgentOZR Thanks this.
  9. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Are they painting the word Celedon on the trailers yet ?

It won't be long............

LSAgentOZR Thanks this.
  10. Klatu

Klatu Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Argyle, TX
    If I'm reading between the lines correctly, The board is on his ### right now. "Big Time". I think Mr. Cliff is about history.

11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I think there is more to this then is being said by the company. I just did a search and saw this. It's dated very recently. If you look very closely you see where the company says it's out of compliance with credit covenants, this is business speak for we are behind on our payments! I said it a while back and I will say it again. Make sure you have enough money to get home, you might very well be needing it.

VAN BUREN, Ark., July 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- USA Truck, Inc. USAK today announced base revenue of $103.5 million for the quarter ended June 30, 2012, a decrease of 4.6% from $108.5 million for the same quarter of 2011. We incurred a net loss of $3.5 million ($0.34 per share) for the quarter ended June 30, 2012, compared to net income of $0.6 million ($0.06 per share) for the same quarter of 2011.
    "At June 30, our outstanding debt, less cash, represented 50.9% of our balance sheet capitalization, compared to 47.4% at December 31, 2011. At June 30, 2012, we were not in compliance with the financial covenants contained in our revolving credit agreement. We have obtained a waiver from our bank group for such non-compliance that is effective through September 30, 2012. Concurrently, we are negotiating a new five-year revolving credit facility with a different lender that will replace our current revolving credit agreement. We anticipate the new facility will afford us improved pricing and significantly greater financial flexibility. For the six months ended June 30, 2012, we incurred net capital expenditures of approximately $19.9 million (including approximately $3.7 million relating to revenue equipment that we took possession of during 2011 but funded in 2012) and we anticipate our net capital expenditures to be approximately $7.4 million for the remainder of 2012."

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.