Co-driver drives on my log

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MissSusan, Apr 18, 2018.

1. MissSusan

MissSusan Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Hey everybody,

I’ve been running team for a month. I keep waking up to find my co-driver is driving on my log. He says the company doesn’t care and will laugh at me if I report him. I have taken pictures to prove my case but I’m afraid I will get in trouble with the company and DOT. What should I do?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Your co-driver is the one that's in trouble if he's caught.
    I'd play dumb and rake in the money. If he's caught; fake being enraged about it.

4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    If he wrecks out on your log and kills a bus load of people, he will jump in the sleeper and throw you under the bus. One way to protect yourself is to log out of the ELD when it is time for your break. He does not know your password so therefore cannot log in as you. Before you start driving again you edit all your off duty/sleeper time back in. This will raise questions with your carrier and you calmly explain that you will not tolerate your co-driver using your good name to drive. Guaranteed they will not laugh at you, they will be pissed off at him. Protect yourself.

x1Heavy, DozerCowboy, JReding and 10 others Thank this.
  5. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    If your company does laugh at you,you need to find another company. Be sure to keep all of the evidence.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, you should log out when you stop driving. This way you're legal. If he logs you back on duty, that's his problem. He probably knows your password and you can't control that if you're "sleeper berth."

7. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I don't know about logging out of a vehicle. If you are logged out of a truck can you log sleeper berth on whatever system you are using?

I would never stick around for that. Every time you certify your logs with his drive time logged on your log you are falsifying a log. That, and, like Scotty says, if there is an accident it comes back on you.

x1Heavy, Lepton1 and scottied67 Thank this.
  8. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    He might know your password, true. What I would do is call Safety and nonchalantly ask for a new password because your co-driver is using your name to drive and you would like to log out after your shift. Trust me they will come up with a better solution at that time.

9. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Absolutely, totally forgot about that-- falsification. Your body is in the Sleeper but your time is logged Driving, your carrier would be subject to tens of thousands in fines. You could go to prison in a fatality crash, this is serious stuff.

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    All this about passwords, calling safety, etc ignores one very basic thing in my mind...
    Why the heck are to still running with someone that has to use your log? If he is driving that much you need to get out of the truck before he falls asleep at the wheel and kills you.

No, if it happened once as an accident, no biggie. If he keeps doing it even after you told him to stop you need to go solo or find a new team mate.

kemosabi49 and TripleSix Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.