Code 89 & 21 on thermo king reefer

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by nirvan5a, Jan 4, 2014.

1. nirvan5a

nirvan5a Bobtail Member

May 4, 2011
    Hello,
    I recently just bought a 2007 Utility with a thermo king reefer. 1 minute after turning on the engine, I get alarm code 89 (ETV circuit), the temperature increases even though the set point should be decreasing the temperature. 5 minutes later, I get the code 21 (cooling system check). Right after I get the code 21, the engine shuts off. I cleared it many times, but nothing is changed. I called Utility because my new engine and compressor are under warranty, but they said that the ETV is a component; not part of the engine and that I have to pay for the repair. I called a technician afterwards, and he said that it's usually because it's out of refrigerant or freon. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I asked the technician what the price would be to fix it; he said it would be around $1200-1500. Anything is helpful. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    If it's low Coolant/Freon, that should be easy..
    But kinda need to find the leak and fix it.

You just bought this and it doesn't even run right?

CondoCruiser Thanks this.
  4. nirvan5a

nirvan5a Bobtail Member

May 4, 2011
    Yes, haven't used the trailer since I bought it. Coolant is full. How do I know that it's a low freon?

5. Kroozn20

Kroozn20 Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Birmingham, AL
    well I use to be a ref tech and code 21 is low Freon aka check cooling system. From the sounds of it your system has a Freon leak and is out of Freon that's why the temp is going up and it is showing ETV system because according to the computer your unit should be at certain temp by now and its not getting there so it throws that code also. Depending on where the leak is depends on how much it costs to fix. Also pray its not a compressor seal then tech has to take out the compressor and install another seal, add oil to compressor then leak check and vacuum and recharge. Labor on that plus seal is like 600 to 700 then add in the 400 for the Freon that is where he is coming up with that ballpark figure. He is also adding in time for diagnosing and leak checking and vacuuming the system.

CondoCruiser Thanks this.
  6. joe93256

joe93256 Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2014
    unhook one of your electrical lines to engine thottle valve. (its right in front of you when you open the door) It will let you run on low speed until replaced. Only 4 bolts on the mount.

7. Florida863

Florida863 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Where and how do I add freon into an SB-210? Keep getting alarm code 21 and engine is shutting off

8. Florida863

Florida863 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2017
    How and where do i add freon on SB-210? Engine keep shutting of and alarm code 21 keeps coming on.

9. MAS DELIVERY

MAS DELIVERY Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2019
    Help: I have an sb 3 max. Recently, I had a load of candy that need to run at 65 continuous. I left truck for the night and came back to find that the unit had shut down due to a heating cycle issue (code 24). Can anyone tell what the problem is and how to repair it. Thanks

10. reeferwrencher

reeferwrencher Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Most likely cause is low or out of freon.Other possible causes are 3 way valve not shifting or bad pilot solenoid coil or valve. Do you have refrigeration gauges ?

11. MAS DELIVERY

MAS DELIVERY Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.