Common sense VS. GPS

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by haz-matguru, Jul 3, 2017.

1. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I've been seeing the worst wrecks in my career since 09. And I was sitting here thing about some of the more recent truck accidents involving weight limits on bridges. Or at what point does pedestrian bridge not register in the cdl holders brain.

I was taught the old school way of reading an atlas back in grade, middle, and high school. And I plan my trips by them. Instead of following turn by turn directions on a GPS. I'm not wishing to bash GPS users. But if you see multiple signs that say no trucks. Or 20 ton limit bridge. Or a bridge that has its height posted as clear as day.

Why would one drive under a over pass of 13' if your 13'6 in height?
    Why would one attempt to drive over a 20 ton posted bridge if they weigh 76000 pounds?
    Why would a driver follow a GPS into a park and attempt to go over a pedestrian bridge?

When did using common sense become against the law? Because it seems like there are $5000 fines for using it these days. They way some ppl go about things.

chacha, rabbiporkchop, Milr72 and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheRipper

TheRipper Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I think the main problem is the megas recruiting in the prison system, and getting inmates sentences reduced if they will sign a contract to drive for a year after school....

Or so it seems...

4. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    You are right, it is called common sense. I work with Truck GPS software daily and it is a tool. You the person have to use the Gray Matter to make the final decision.

NavigatorWife and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Let's say you are so stupid and useless, that you can't get a job anywhere. Then you come across a mega trucking company and bum! you have a job! Does not matter that you don't have any common sense, you passed a physical exam and have a good MVR, nothing else matters.

6. Treputt

Treputt Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    If a troglodyte with a CDL doesn't have the brains or common sense to use a GPS responsibly, then I'm pretty sure they risk overload and perhaps a fatal paper cut attempting to navigate the complexities of a road atlas.

peterd, QuietStorm, KeithT1967 and 3 others Thank this.
  7. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I've heard from a friend of mine. That England hired the second seat on the trk straight out of prison. But I'm not totally sure of that

TheRipper Thanks this.
  8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Road Atlas, note book, Google satellite on final details - have plan in hand, and go forth.

Still without a GPS after 13 years.

Still haven't been featured on the front page of any local newspapers - maybe they do it for the fame?

9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Why you ask because ppl solely depend on the GPS .People are too lazy to read signs and too lazy to use common since then if something happens the idiots blame their GPS. All they do is drive and let GPS do all there thinking for them.

10. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    A laptop computer with internet so as to use Google maps is a great tool too, esp once you are in the area where you pickup or deliver to. There are so many little, bitty towns out there that have weight restrictions on the road you think you need to be on. Scrolling a road helps a lot, you can also see if there is a train trestle when you see tracks, a low weight posted bridge over water, etc. It takes a little more time to plan, but well worth the double protection of making sure just in case. Husband has even been on one road in OH at an egg farm, where the best looking road to get back to the highway was posted no trucks because of horses in the area and their riders; this would not have even been on a Rand McNally Atlas. Now if they could just teach this in classes instead of turning some of the brain deads loose on the public.

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    No follow the green line mindlessly...... thank you

KillingTime and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.