Company Driver to IC

Discussion in 'Superior Carriers' started by ncdriver1, Apr 28, 2016.

1. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Oh that sounds miserable. Our trailers aren't like that thankfully.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mxpx148

mxpx148 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2013
    NEPA, PA
    Nice truck...congrats and good luck!!

4. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I have run into that problem a few times with Superior Dry Bulk trailers but never a liquid tank.

Also it's against forum rules to discuss emission system modifications here. There used to be a lot of such content here that had to be deleted for legal reasons. The EPA doesn't play.

Good luck ncdriver

Admin Thanks this.
  5. Thermos Bottle

Thermos Bottle Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2015
    GA
    Congrats on reaching your driving goals for 2016. Cool info since none of the O/O guys I've met want to discuss pay.

I have the money for a used truck, but I am not good with mechanical stuff. I hope you are able to net more money than planned. At 20% more pay over being a company driver, you're not even netting what we gross. This is a bummer for me since I will definitely not be able to afford a new truck.

By the way, do you have to go to the week long orientation again? If so, will you get paid anything? And where are you required to fuel to get the discounts? Isn't 62% a bit low, or am I wrong? Tell me your secrets! :p

6. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Oh great, not another new guy dreaming to be a -----oh wait! Nvm this guy actually did his homework! Congrats

Cottonmouth85 and ExOTR Thank this.
  7. ncdriver1

Dec 3, 2012
    The 20% was net-net after everything compared to 2015. 2015 my after tax net was around 58k, so I'm playing to be more around 70k after tax. It's a very conservative estimate based on a yearly gross of $168,000. And I would advise against buying a new truck, thats what I had originally wanted to do but a $3,000+ monthly payment was just unreasonable.
    The thing about the % is it's based on what the linehaul is. You see other companies offering 75% and up, but what is the rate...With superior I know that most runs will pay the driver $1.60 to $1.80, and some even more. I'd rather have 62% of $2.90+ per mile vs 75% of $2.00 per mile. I think most of the other tanker companies that pay % are in the same range, so maybe it's another tanker industry quirk...

If I do have to go down to orientation again I told them since I'm now a CEO I only fly first class or chartered. I also named myself as a referral on the new hire application I had to fill out ;)

8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Are you going to be based out of a northeast terminal ?

9. Thermos Bottle

Thermos Bottle Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2015
    GA
    Get the private jet; commercial is for peasants, lol. Well with that information, I'm can definitely see you in the $175K - $200K range. So you're basically going to net what you used to gross, maybe a bit more. This of course is not the $5K to $6K per week that I've heard of, which means a $3K truck payment would definitely be out of the question. I'd be curious to know how the runs are set up for O/Os because I usually get a fair amount of layover as a company driver. You of course would not get that anymore. Maybe they let you show up early to customers, I don't know. Please keep us updated with any new info. Oh, and did they say if you had to fuel at certain truck stops for the fuel discount?

10. ncdriver1

Dec 3, 2012
    Yes, the Auburn, ME terminal. I run a lot of system and I'm usually bouncing between Markham IL, Cincy, Springfield MA, and Pedricktown NJ. My home terminal has a lot of out n back runs which pay well enough but I like the potential with system. We are just about to hit our busy season up here with lots of really nice runs so I may just stay tethered here for a bit and then hit system later in the summer.

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  11. ncdriver1

Dec 3, 2012
    Well the layover will still happen, there really isn't any way around it and you would hope that's factored into the total linehaul rate to make up for it. Some weeks will be great and some weeks will be bad, it's up to the dispatchers to balance it out and some are better than others at that. I also expect to be in the upper end of the gross range but that's running 255+ days out which I'm not always going to want to do. My LONG term goal is to get to a point where I can take Nov through Feb off and avoid the worst of winter.

I would recommend you do what I did, and start asking dispatchers what a particular runs pays and how steady it is. You'll start to get a feel for what a particular lane pays and if its worth doing as an O/O.

The fuel discount is best at Petro or TA. I hate both but with the discount ($.30+ per gallon but it varies) it would be stupid not to fuel there. We can fuel anywhere comdata is accepted same as a company driver. IFTA is taken care of by Superior. My $0.40/mi fuel cost is based on $2.50/gal @6.25mpg which gives me plenty of breathing room to cover price fluctuations, or my heavy foot.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.