Concerns with Maverick Trans. physical test

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by natedogg323, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get the physical and go from there. If you have any issues, such as sleep apnea or blood pressure, then get those resolved. Many new drivers have to take a few extra steps to qualify, but finally start their new trucking career.
    If you are diagnosed with sleep apnea, get a CPAP machine that stores data for at least 90 days. Trucking companies have to download data to ensure you're using the machine properly.

geargrabber89 and natedogg323 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019

4. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    DO NOT quit your job. Can you take vacation or leave of absence?
    Plan this move, save money, start walking.
    There should be a youtube video on the Maverick physical.
    Best job for a newbie in trucking is dryvan. If you plan your trucking career you will be making 90 thousand in four years.
    Please go slow in making this change and once you get out on the road.

5. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    I do flatbed and I'm not in the best of shape use this as motivation to get yourself in shape and even if you don't go to Maverick your health will be better then it is now because I do flatbed and it's nothing to walk a few thousand steps. There other options besides flatbed you can get a CDL and do vans reefer they're not as strenuous as flatbed

natedogg323 Thanks this.
  6. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Start out with Dry Van or Reefer. Learn to drive and become efficient at the job. Spend your first year on the road losing some weight and getting yourself in shape. Many of the Megas have different divisions all under one roof. Should you decide to switch to flatbed, it would be very easy. Swift, Knight, Prime, etc all come to mind. The first year is tough out here. Make it as easy on yourself as possible. Good luck

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

There is an excellent review of all things Maverick on YouTube. A driver, Dale Clay, posted a day-by-day account of his early days at Maverick.

Here is a link to Dale's description of the Maverick physical agility test.

'88K100 and natedogg323 Thank this.
  8. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    Mavericks test isn't very hard but if you can't pull yourself up onto a surface 4-5 feet off the ground then you might want to get some practice because you'll have to do that all the time and thats part of the test too.

natedogg323 Thanks this.
  9. bigredford85

bigredford85 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Gloucester Va
    Maverick was my starter company. The physical isn’t all that bad. I’m kinda big and there were some bigger guys in my orientation class. We all passed with no problems. If you get flagged for a sleep study they’ll do an at home study in the “maverick hotel”. If the doctor decides you need an in lab study you’ll do that probably the following night. I did both and didn’t need a cpap. Most people drop out of orientation because of unsafe actions by people during the abilities test they have. They tell you exactly how they want it done and as long as you do it safely you’ll be alright.

10. natedogg323

natedogg323 Light Load Member

May 4, 2007
    Detroit, Mi
    I really appreciate your thoughtful response! Everyone’s actually!!! Lots of great info and I have been researching the job non stop for weeks. Lots to learn but anything worth doing is worth doing right! This isn’t a game and I’m taking the transition extremely serious.

11. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    The steps could be tough for heavy guy.. unless he’s active. Sure is a lot of testing compared to the blood pressure and heart rate check we get in Canada...oh and the grueling touch your toes if you can,,,not mandatory nor are drug tests in the non commie provinces

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.