Considering an APU

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Nuge31, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Mr Dave

Mr Dave Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Ok
    I am an o/o , I have had an apu on my truck since it was 2 months old - 07 Pete. An apu will burn less than a quart of fuel per hour while the main engine burns more than a gallon per hour = savings $$$. You do the math. Plus my apu not only heats and cools my black truck, plus it charges the batteries while the main engine is off, has its own heat & cool - separate from the truck. Plus it produces 110 v. to run my micro wave, coffee pot, tv, and power my block heater for starts on cold mornings. I have shut truck off at -10, started apu, went to bed and had no problem starting the next morning.

You do the math on the amount of money/fuel you save, less soot in your motor, no carbon build up after idling all night. Have heard 1 hour of idle is = 100 miles. I'll keep my apu and sleep in peace!!!

ComeBack Truckin and HalpinUout Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nuge31

Nuge31 Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I have a buddy who had an apu sitting on a truck that hasn't run for 5 years,, couple hundred gets it? I want check the hours on it, if it isn't crazy I may try that, my only other option to have one before winter is to finance, do you like it enough to have a payment for it?

4. Mr Dave

Mr Dave Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Ok
    never had a payment, paid cash. but fuel savings can go a long way on making a payment!

5. Nuge31

Nuge31 Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I sold a snow plow business to buy the truck and I like the idea that the main financial concern of the business is paying for the roof over my family's heads, but in doing that I have left myself a little short for the rest of start up, didn't 1200 today on inspection and water pump, another 400 last week on my exhaust, which I did myself. 2000 yesterday registering it.. I don't have the cash right now.. I am concerned about putting unnecessary wear and tear on my truck because it isn't new, it's an 04 with 616k miles on it, and I need it to last, I put quite a few eggs in this basket.. part of me don't want a payment, but the other part wants to do anything I can to protect the longevity of my truck,, your posts have been helpful,, thank you!

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I feel ya!

In that respect, I’d be inclined to nudge through with a few sacrifices - I did to begin with and it does pay off.

It’s so easy here to ‘payment this’ and ‘finance that’ - it’s always tempting, but your best decisions start with your Casio calculator.

spindrift and loudtom Thank this.
  7. Nuge31

Nuge31 Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I will start running next week, hopefully start getting money in, that will help.. inexperience will probably end up costing me a little, but experience only comes one way, and that's with experience!! Maybe I will get lucky and that apu my buddy had on the back of that truck will still have life in it.. think it's a thermo king

8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    So you have a truck that old that has averaged less than ~45,000 miles per year?
    That is well under 1,000 miles per week.

Personally, I would be more concerned about a possibly very long period of sitting in its own rust.

Do you know the trucks history, and how it was used before you got it?

9. Nuge31

Nuge31 Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2017

10. Nuge31

Nuge31 Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2017
    The guy I got it off of purchased it with 200k on it, at that time it had sat a couple years. He had the frame blasted and painted, he drove mostly local. His wife developed some health issues so he had to give up driving, so it's sat for about a year before I bought it.. truck is clean with a few things I am dealing with.. water pump leaking, fan stuck running and exhaust.. fan still needs dealt with, everything else is fixed.

11. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I went my first winter with a -40F sleeping bag and warm clothes. The truck had a bunk heater, but the trainer didn't show me what it was. I would get an APU before summer, though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.