Considering working for Knightmare transportation? Read this first.

Discussion in 'Knight' started by whipping boy, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Even the guys that run the I-5 where freight is plentiful and hometime is often say the company sucks. Bean counters determing "projected miles per tractor" goals and if you think it's near 10,000 miles a month your wrong. Flooding the "markets" with available equipment is how it works. Doesn't too much for Billy Bob from Overland Park Ks now does it ? Top all that off with blantant lies, shoddy maintence, and after hours idiots paid to say "sorry no freight call your dispatcher on Monday morning" Yea fun times at Knight.

Why did Knight suddenly start training new drivers ? The industry is flooded with good drivers. Only problem is those drivers ain't gonna work for free.

JimDucan and OverDrive Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bosco Warden

Bosco Warden Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I can see this in some of the larger Knight terminals, luckily I am in a small terminal and I only deal with my DM, I will wait if I have to. I have had a few weekend DM's try to give me BS loads, but as it turns out "oh, look at that im out of hours - sorry" (I'm on paper logs still.)

I am a new driver so I dont have alot of baggage from past experience with other companies. (no expectations except making money) I do understand it is a business and its for profit and the DM's that dispatch have no clue what the driver needs are but i'm more then willing to explain them to my DM, who so far has been pretty receptive.

4. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

Good point!

When I worked out of the Phx term, classes were 20-30/week, every week (not counting the other terminals' orientations), and the turn over rate became worse than Swifts at one point during those 5 yrs.

5. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Yes it is a business, you are correct. BUT you can never in a million years (not you personally Bosco) tell me that dishonesty and stealing is the right way to run a business. I came to Knight with experience, I had a few years at Schneider but man oh man I never once had to ask or beg for accessory pay that I had outright earned. People say that Schneider and all of them lie but those people have never driven for Knight. If anyone has even known a compulsive lier, well imagine them employing you.

All new drivers to Knight should ask themselves why they are spending EIGHT hours driving a few hundred miles looking for an empty trailer that doesn't exist FOR NO PAY. There just keeping you busy. Now figure up the fuel and the wear and tear on the equipment while driving those non revenue earning miles. Then think of how much money they stiff the drivers in paid miles. Unbelievable stuff !

When you have to "remind" your DM to pay your accessory pay it's not that he forgot, he just doesn't want to pay you as his job is to save the company money. You can hound him and get your money then all of the suddenly your a "has been" at Knight and should start looking for another job.

I just hate hearing people living in denial and saying "well it is a business and a business is supposed to make money" Yea but not right the heck out of a drivers wallet. It's almost like they think their the only company and that someone should be grateful to be paying for the "privilege" of driving for them. That's how pompous jack-###'s think.

No matter how happy a driver is at Knight, Knights ripping them off in about a thousand ways to here. I am long gone from the tragedy known as Knight but I figure if they had no problem stealing from me and giving me my most laughable W-2 in five years, I owe it to Knight to make sure people don't even bother wasting their time with them.

6. whipping boy

whipping boy Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2010
    yourtown usa

Having been on the 'inside' I can tell you that the overall turnover rate is about 300%, more at some terminals and they doesn't even count anyone that stayed less than 30 days.
    If they spent half as much time figuring out why drivers quit as they spend recruiting new drivers, they wouldn't lose so many good drivers.

7. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

Having been on the 'inside' then you also know that they wear out recruiters, too!! :biggrin_2559:

8. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    just quit today.. been there since 2008.. whippingboy is 100 % correct..(got alot of buddies on inside)lol.. there suppose to be non force dispatch but tried to force a crappy whirlpool load on me... swore i wouldnt do another after the last one and i dint lol.. wish me luck on job hunting

9. jeepskate99

jeepskate99 Road Train Member

You just described business in today's age. Learn to play the game, or grab enough rope for a noose and quit.

10. ccat

ccat Bobtail Member

May 15, 2010
    he is right on the mark about them. dont unless you are just gettin your time in and move on to a better company. all companies have their downside, just pick the one that YOU fit in. and yes, they will try to charge you, i threatened to sue them, then they paid me after 2 months of fighting with them. so go ahead and brown nose, it may work out for you, but they really are forced dispatch. u refuse, they just wont give you a load. just like he said, if you not a favorite, you aint nothin to them. dispatchers can make or break you

11. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    yes there can be bad dispatchers but that is everywhere both big & small companies alike! most of the time the drivers whining about no miles are sitting around a terminal or truckstop whining!! There will be good weeks and bad weeks,but some people just dont comprehend that at all!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.