Coolant loss

Discussion in 'Mack Forum' started by MackRookie, Feb 18, 2018.

1. MackRookie

MackRookie Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Canada
    I drive 750km a week how much coolant loss is normal?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
  4. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    You should have zero. Any loss of coolant means it’s leaking somewhere. Do an oil sample and make sure it’s not getting into your oil. If it’s getting in the oil, fix ASAP or it will ruin the motor. If it’s not in the oil and you’re adding a gallon over the course of 3 weeks or so, I wouldn’t worry about it as you probably have a leak that only appears when it’s hot and under pressure. If you’re adding a lot of coolant then you need to locate the leak somewhere.
    If your truck has an APU connected to the motor coolant supply I’d start there. They may not leak when the APU is running or sitting still but once you’re hot and under pressure going down the highway it will leak through the hoses.

5. MackRookie

Nov 30, 2017
    Canada
    I'm adding 1 and half inch coolant a week

6. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Next time you change the oil take a sample. I use Blackstone Labs and they do a great job. That eliminates a lot of things. Then you can focus on finding the leak. If you don’t see it on the ground during pretrip, it’s a high pressure leak. If nothing turns up from the sample or a shop searching for a high pressure leak, it could be an EGR cooler gone bad, that would be pretty rare though.

blairandgretchen and MackRookie Thank this.
  7. MackRookie

Nov 30, 2017
    Canada
    I had the wrong radiator cap 18lbs changed it to 16 lbs yday. I bought the truck 3 months ago. iv had over heating on heavy loads so changed the thermostat then just a week ago had 2 coolant hoses changed cuz of leaking. so I wonder if the cap was causing the problems all this time?

8. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    2 lb heavier cap should not be doing that.

9. MackRookie

Nov 30, 2017
    Canada
    I asked Volvo Mack they said the wrong cap could be the reason?

10. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    The cap affects overall pressure in the system. It could lead to overheating but not any leakage. Since you’re adding coolant so often, you still have a leak somewhere. If it’s not in the oil it’s up to you if it’s bad enough to warrant pressurizing the system at a shop and having them check for leaks.
    If there are truly no leaks, it’s going somewhere internally. An oil sample will tell you if that’s the case. You’re looking for Potassium and Sodium in the oil.

blairandgretchen and MackRookie Thank this.
  11. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Well covered.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.