CRETE Questions

Discussion in 'Crete' started by Varmit, Jun 16, 2007.

1. inthewindaz

inthewindaz Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Personally... part of my reason for wanting a union job...and I have alot more, but this is a good one to start with.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wdstk69

wdstk69 Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2008
    noblesville indiana
    no witness, just a good attorney, and a back surgon who really give a ####, it took me some doing, had to go to a work hardening program for a year, they paid me over 600.00 per week tax free, they ( shaffer ) offered me a job as terminal manager, i accepted, then they brought me back to work to tell me HUGH,!!! WE DON,T KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT?, sooo they fired me because i could no longer handle freight, when i started there in 1998, freight handling was not an issue, then in 2006 it all of a sudden be came a issue, so i collected a nice sum of tax free money, went to work for a small bakery, who paid lumper fees at all grocery whare houses. the rest is a long story, but i had to retire due to the several back surgeries. and am doing well in my retirement, i highly suggest all drivers be aware of the possability of getting hurt on the job make #### sure everything is documented,even a fuel recpt. can help to win a case,( it establishes the fact you were in the area when hurt) keep a copy of all bills of lading, in a file at your home, you never know when you will need it, i also kept all my logs for 3 yrs. sometimes it takes that long or longer to win a work comp case, well i am woodstock and i approve this message, be safe love your familys it is all you have., when the chips are really down:biggrin_25525:

4. wdstk69

Sep 19, 2008
    noblesville indiana
    hell-o all its saturday i hope as many drivers are with thier familys as possible, i have missed out on so much family functions due to having to leave on sunday, i am trying to make up for it now you all drive safe and have a great day WOODSTOCK

5. Weazz

Weazz Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Florida
    The way i take it you pick what you want,crete,shaffer,hunt.
    But if you work for the crete or shaffer side you could be pulling the others trailer..havent seen or heard to much about the hunt side. Hope that helps

6. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    They share some CSR( customer service rep's) Since some of our customers have both types of freight. It made it easier on the customer to have only 1 contact instead of having to call in loads for one type, then call someone else for another.

They do share power units between Crete and Shaffer. But you still have to apply to each company separately. Or that's the way it use to be. I am not sure it's still that way since they merged Shaffers dispatch into the Lincoln HQ. I was in Columbus one day, and a driver was switching from Shaffer to Crete. They made him go through the whole process, background check(employment history i mean) orientation, the whole enchilada. Made no sense to me...but what does... I iz gest a truk driver.

7. mars

mars Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Chattanooga,TN
    You will need to apply for which ever one you want to drive for. As for load locks,if you need them most drivers have extras they will give you or sell you cheap. I know I have a barn full that drivers leave in trailers. So check with other drivers before you buy any. Shaffer's southeast drivers are starving so I wouldn't drive regional right now.
    The top 25% live in the truck.

8. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I think Shaffer drivers in general are being hit harder by this freight market. It seems as though there are an awful lot of empty blue trucks at all the terminals. And also the reason you see more and more blue trucks pulling Crete trailers. Some are newer hires, or recent truck trades, and they use a used trucks instead of running a new one early...but others are Shaffer drivers moving over to the Crete side because of freight... Instead of swapping trucks from blue to red, they just transfer you over... after all, we are one big happy family, at least between Crete and Shaffer... Hunt is a totally different operation, dispatch and all. If you switch to work there, they do swap you to a Hunt truck.

9. wdstk69

Sep 19, 2008
    noblesville indiana
    i drove for shaffer for 9 yrs, it,s not the freight problem it,s all the unloading for free, or very little money, mars and hershey pays to get trucks un-loaded but, the company does not want to share the wealth, also they want a load to get there rather you have the legal hours, to do so or not. i think that is the major problem. i have heard there was a management shake up. so maybe things are better,? i pulled crete trailers and loved it, because it was NO TOUCH !!, good luck and above all be safe. WOODSTOCK

10. STICK HAULER

STICK HAULER Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2008
    HICKORY,NC
    Am in the app process, now have been approved you can tell what ever recruiter you are working with {cret, shaffer. Hunt] to see what else is available, was switched to shaffer because i have reefer exp, but still not sure which one i will go with, no flat bed for sure,,,,

11. wdstk69

Sep 19, 2008
    noblesville indiana
    stick hauler in my exp with shaffer, if you love to handle freight, then shaffer would be a good choice, knowning what i know ,i think you should pick crete, shaffer is a little underhanded ,with thier drivers, after working there for several years,i learned drivers are second class citizens.i knew a lot of drivers at crete and we compared, the respect between managemt, and drivers we found crete to treat thier drivers better, thier freight lanes are far better than shaffer. esp. when it concerns driver at home time. good luck on your choice WOODSTOCK

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.