Critical Event

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by farmerjohn64, Dec 8, 2019.

1. farmerjohn64

farmerjohn64 Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Hi,

Today is my first day with my TE and to get to the point I had two critical events; the first one i got in the left lane to make a left hand turn, but there was a stop light less than 100 feet away and I didn’t brake soon enough to come to a smooth stop, instead I hit the breaks a little too hard (I wasn’t going fast either) and it came to a rough stop. The second one was when I had to turn right, I was trying to make sure my trailer had enough clearance and when I knew it did I turned too hard to the right and I’m pretty sure I should’ve turned a little slower as well. With that being said, I woke up at 6 am because I wanted to be early/on time when my TE arrived, which was supposed to be at 9 am (he got there at 9:40) and I started driving at around 4:30; I was doing just fine in my opinion until those two critical events, obviously (both happened at night), but due to this being my first job and being tired I had to make the choice to let my TE take over at 7 and I think we’re supposed to drive until 9. Needless to say I feel like a bit of a failure and I just started working again after taking 2 weeks off from Schneider due to my grandpa passing away. I guess what I’m looking for is an honest opinion on my current situation.

Best regards, John

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    What TE?

farmerjohn64 Thanks this.
  4. farmerjohn64

Jun 25, 2019
    Basically a road instructor, we’re on the road hauling freight

Coffey Thanks this.
  5. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Go ahead and quit find a company that doesn't get mad at you for not knowing when every light will change.

MACK E-6, Mototom, Tb0n3 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    Ok thank and I wouldn't worry atlest you notice what you did wrong now all you got to do is improve it next time

7. farmerjohn64

Jun 25, 2019
    Actually my instructor was quite understanding both times and even said I wasn’t going very fast for either/he’d help explain things if my company calls, it’s just me I suppose, simply want to do better

lovesthedrive and Coffey Thank this.
  8. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    TE = Training Engineer(?) LOL

Seriously, nobody is going to care about those critical events as long as you don't keep on doing it.

9. farmerjohn64

Jun 25, 2019
    Hell I don’t know what TE stands for haha I thought somebody could tell me

JC1971 and Coffey Thank this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  11. Lpirtle

Lpirtle Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    Not a critical event; but I did get a logbook violation on my first week of phase 2 training with Rohel. Left the receiver in Nashville with 1 hour and 30 minutes left on my 14, ended up being 15 minutes in violation when I pulled into the nearest truck stop due to traffic. The Dispatcher called me asking about the violation but nothing more came from it.
    Its like others said, just don't keep making the same mistakes and you will be fine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.