Cummins ISX15 crankcase pressure

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by mitmaks, Mar 11, 2017.

1. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Did you pull the loom back and check the wiring going to the sensor? Mine rubbed through a few inches from the plug, cummins sells a pigtail to rewire it.

What year is this truck?

mitmaks Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
  4. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Did it come on while you were pulling a hill?

5. mitmaks

May 16, 2014
    wasnt big hill but yeah truck was climbing slight incline

6. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    If your wiring is good then cummins may need to do a blowby test and check and see if the turbo is boosting into the crankcase.

mitmaks Thanks this.
  7. mitmaks

May 16, 2014
    What would that mean?

8. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    If you have excessive blowby then your piston rings could be worn or broken or your liners are worn. Those things usually come with increased oil consumption. Are you using alot more oil than usual?

Air compressors can go bad and pump air into the crankcase but it shouldn't be enough to trip a code, especially with a free flowing crankcase breather filter.

If the turbo is boosting into the crankcase then the seals in the turbo are bad and you need a new one.

With the engine warm and running, take off the oil fill cap. Is there alot of blowby? If there is...... does it puff like a Choo Choo train?

If you wanna save some money and check yourself for real cheap, watch this video on how to check blowby.

To test the turbo. Do the blowby test and mark how high the water goes, shut off the truck and disconnect the turbo oil return line and put it in a bucket. Then redo the blowby test, if your blowby level is less.... your turbo is bad.

Keep in mind that oil will be going into the bucket from the engine so don't let it run forever but losing a galon or so during the test doesn't hurt nothing, your engine has 10+ gallons in it.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  9. mitmaks

May 16, 2014
    How much oil is excessive? A gallon/10k miles or more?

10. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    No, I'd say that's normal. A little high but nothing to cry home about.

11. mitmaks

May 16, 2014
    I know this truck was at Cummins for some rngine work last year in April. New liners/pistons etc. I guess I could call Cummins service dept and get a thorough printout of whats been done. I used to go 3-4 gallons of oil on this truck before engine work.
    Supposedly front main seal was leaking and thats when they did work on it at Cummins.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.