Current Storm Shutdown (MT trailer)

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by silent_philosophy, Apr 1, 2023.

1. silent_philosophy

silent_philosophy Light Load Member

Mar 25, 2023
    I shutdown this morning as 50+ MPH gusts were predicted. I have an empty trailer, so I shutdown.

When I fisrt started driving, I drove to my limits and just got lucky. Stupid.

I listen to the weather and find something to do when it's bad outside. Risk Aversion is about keeping in mind what can be avoided and sticking to a boring day. Boring is safe.

The storm rolling over OH and PA today was a no go. NWS has a wind advisory all day. Days like today, going slow or shutting down will save your career and your life.

I got hit broadside last week in PA by a river of wind in a valley and knocked me in the other very empty lane, thankfully! More luck as there wasnt an advisory just perfect topology to get me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    You've chosen wisely. Anything 40 and up with an empty box is begging for disaster.

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I think you made a good decision, but rookies should not treat a forecast of high winds as an invitation to park until Spring. This is a job where you have to make judgment calls. If there is a forecast for high winds park and look at the current windspeeds in the area you are at now and every few miles along your route. Also, pay attention to WHEN and where the winds are forecast to be high speed, don't just sleep in because high winds are forecast in a general area. A forecast is not a reality promise. I used a few weather apps. One was Windy for Android. But I used it long enough to also understand that it will show you winds speeds almost anywhere you ask for them, but it also seemed to undervalue wind speeds about 10 mph. Weather is the most complex thing in the world. Most broadcast "weather men" are simply former college students with a "broadcast degree" and not enough seniority or experience to be the news or sports face/voice.

5. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Yup thats a smart thing to do as others have said. I did the SLC to KC team run for years. And as dave said you need to learn to read the weather. As a rule if your almost out of hours anyway just shut her down and check in the morning. However, if you have hours check every hour or two. Eventually the wind will die down or lessen to a point you can squeek a truck or 500 through before the next gale. Even if you only get to the next truck stop its better then nothing.

Also if the wind is going to be going for more then a day or two consider alternate routes and present them to dispatch. Many carriers would prefer you divert 50-200 miles out of route then sit for days waiting for wind.

Rideandrepair, tscottme and lual Thank this.
  6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Also watch the wind direction.
    If you have a direct 35+ crosswind it can blow you over with an mt trailer, while a 45+ head or tail wind might be doable.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. silent_philosophy

silent_philosophy Light Load Member

Mar 25, 2023
    Yeah! The anemometer on my cab should let me know when the wind is going to change directions on a heavily contoured landscape.

I think you like to see disaster.

"Go ahead rookies. NOAA says its gonna br hell, but its a judgment call. No sleeping in today! Because if you aint driving you must be sleepin"

Rideandrepair and tscottme Thank this.
  8. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I think he's good. I'd rather pass you sleeping too

9. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    In Wyoming it's a good idea to get parked when you see most of the vans on the highway parked,you'll only see tankers and flatbeds on the highway.I waited in Casper 18 hours once,had gusts 70 mph +.Got the green light on the wyoming 511 app so I took off,heading south.Before I got to Cheyenne the app went to red,wind picked up again.I kept going,slowed to 55 mph and made it ok.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

no accidents in 28 years. No forescast ever blew a truck off the road. Listening to a forecast thats says " high winds between Colorado and Illinois tomorrow" doesn't mean everybody park until there is no wind. It means if you haven't started to experience the too high winds you can keep driving, but you should have a few parking places in mind before you start. New drivers seem to park as soon as the windshield gets wet, dark, or someone forecasts foul weather. It's a forecast, not a reality check. Be an adult.

PaulMinternational, gokiddogo and lual Thank this.
  11. teams567

teams567 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2022
    What were the gusts in Eastern Kansas Friday afternoon?

I had an empty going to Wichita.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.